Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Installment # 21

With both of us working, before children, we were able to cobble together a few thousand dollars, enough for the 20% down on the $27,500 purchase price of that first house in San Carlos.  As I recall, I think we were $500 short and borrowed it from Pam and Norm.  Interestingly, just a few months prior to our decision to buy a house I had wandered into a stock brokerage office, saying I wanted to buy some Pan Am stock.  The broker I spoke with told me that airline stocks were not doing well and that I should just open an account with my few thousand dollars and let her manage and invest it.  That scared me away, fortunately.  If I had invested in the stock market at that point, we never would have had the money for a down payment on a house.  In those days, before the term “creative financing” was even invented, you needed 20% down.  So becoming a home owner was a big deal.  Many couples never made it, partly because they started having children so early: They lost the second income, and their living expenses went up at the same time.

Imagine a blue-collar couple in their early twenties buying a home these days, all on their own, with no help from relatives (except for the $500, which we repaid within a few weeks).  Also imagine them putting the husband through Stanford University and the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Business, again with no help from relatives.  We did get some help from Pan Am and from the GI Bill, but of course I had to have done some things to qualify for that help – be a good soldier, be a good employee, be a good student.  So the point is that we essentially qualified and did it on our own.  In those days, the two-year community colleges (I transferred to Stanford as a junior) were nearly free.  The books cost more than the tuition.  I think the Stanford tuition was $750 to $900 per quarter during my time there.  Berkeley would have been a lot less, since it is not a private university.  By way of comparison, the tuition for Michelle and later for Amy at Cal Poly, about 30 years later, was about the same as that of Stanford in my day, and much more affordable, given the inflation and progression in my income over those 30 years.

In the mid 1960s the GI Bill was available to veterans of World War II and the Korean War and was being made available to returning veterans of the Vietnam War.  Someone in congress asked why we didn’t extend the GI Bill to veterans of the Cold War, rather than skipping over them.  Long story short, they did, and in 1967 I started taking advantage of it.  That was an incredibly important turn of events in my life.  Without the GI Bill benefit, I might very well have remained on the ramp crew my whole working life, punching a clock, wandering around the airport with my coveralls on, hanging with people who were resigned to a meager standard of living.  Sandy may have been OK with that.  I don’t recall her ever indicating that she expected better.  When she met and decided to marry me, I was a blue collar union worker with no college aspirations, and I think she was OK with that.

One of the most comical incidents from my Pan Am days has just come to mind.  There was a large cargo door that opened when we approached by jeep and crossed a threshold.  When the weight of our vehicle rolled onto a metal plate it triggered the large door to roll up. This was in the days before motion detection technology and was fairly uncommon – certainly not something you would see at home or at school.  One of the older guys decided to play a trick on one of the new young fellows.  As they approached the cargo door the old timer told the new guy to yell, “Open Sesame!” and the door would magically open.  The kid didn’t believe him, but finally went along with it.  When it didn’t work the first time, he was told to move a little closer and to shout a little louder, which he did.  On the third try they both yelled together, the vehicle having finally crossed the threshold.  I’ll never forget the look on that young fellow’s face when the door began to open all by itself!

Then there was Igloo Annie.  The Post Office had an operation at the airport where we would pick up and deliver large bags of mail.  People at the PO operation also stacked bags of mail into large containers that were shaped like igloos with one end open.  These we would haul over to the cargo planes and load them by scissor lift and elbow grease.  There were always empty igloos scattered around waiting to be loaded.  These made good shelters from the rain or cold and warm places to hide if you didn’t want to get picked for a job.  Well, there was a rather rough but curvy woman named Ann who worked at the PO and developed a reputation that was no doubt more rumor and wishful thinking than it was fact.  Long story short, we called her Igloo Annie, and if she did half the things they say she did, she was a legend in her own lifetime.

We drove a lot of different motor vehicles on the ramp crew at Pan Am, from small jeeps that could tow a train of baggage carts to large trucks with conveyor belts or scissor lifts.  We drove them up to multimillion dollar jets, which required coordination and judgment.  During that first year I recall jumping confidently from vehicle to vehicle and remembering how scared and uncertain I had been coming across the country with Tom Harris when he made me drive.  I remember the time that I commented to a supervisor that the prospect of backing a huge fuel tanker between the engines of a Boeing 707, in the dark no less, was something that I was definitely afraid of.  I pointed out that there were plenty of more experienced guys around, so I should never need to do that.  The terminal gates where the jets would park for boarding had underground hookups placed directly below the space between the engines on each side of the plane.  But if we needed to fuel a jet anywhere else, which we often did, we had to back the tanker trucks in.  The amount of clearance between the engines was only a few inches on each side.  One mistake or error in judgment could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus delay or cancel the departure. 

The supervisor promptly stated that I needed to get over that fear and had me go with him on the spot to learn how to back the truck in, which included how to take the correct angle of approach, how to operate the clutch and where the gears were on that monster of a truck, and how to see and interpret the hand and wand signals.  I think my under clothes and forehead were wet with sweat by the time we were done, but the feeling of accomplishment was very satisfying.  Thereafter I would volunteer to do the task as readily as anyone, and soon took it in stride as just another part of the job.

I graduated with a small federal student loan balance, with a very low interest rate and $15 per month payments due, which I faithfully paid each month.  The interest rate was so low that I could not justify paying off the balance even when that became possible.  I used to kid that the postage stamp and envelop cost more than the interest.  The other thing that has changed is that there was no reason that a person could not complete a four-year education in four years.  In fact, by going to summer school I finished one quarter early, the quarter ending in March instead of June 1971, graduating from Stanford with honors in Economics, all the while working full-time at Pan Am.  I was the only bread-winner from the time Sandy was into her 3rd trimester with Michelle in late 1969.

I recall how the admissions people at Stanford said there was no way a person could successfully work full-time and attend Stanford University full-time.  Their thinking was: junior college-maybe; Stanford-no way.  My thinking was: what choice do I have, other than to continue to load airplanes for Pan Am at blue collar wages for the rest of my life, or until my body gave out, whichever came first?  The same thing happened with the Cal Berkeley admissions people.  They couldn’t see how I had done it at Stanford, but were sure it would be impossible in graduate school.  I almost believed them this time, but plowed ahead anyway.

I should explain that I initially could not see beyond taking some junior college courses.  If I recall correctly, the amount I received under the G.I. bill for attending junior college was enough to replace most of the overtime pay I was foregoing, so I thought, “It they are going to pay me to go to college, why not give it a shot?”  That reminds me, it all started with an extension course I took in real estate, which in turn had started by me reading an advertisement on the back of a book of matches.  The course was through something called LaSalle Extension University out of Chicago.  It was all done by mail, of course – no on-line stuff in those days!  The program may have been little more than an elaborate way to get me to buy books.  I certainly did not earn a California real estate license.  But I did realize that I had the ability to learn and that I was ready and eager to learn.

That was the key for me in education: When I was finally ready and motivated, I found I loved learning.  I still remember the smell of new and good-condition used text books and the excited anticipation of unlocking the knowledge that was within them.  I would think, “By the end of the semester, I will know practically everything in this book!”  I took the equivalent of a ¾ load my first semester and full loads thereafter, once I understood what was involved and found I could handle it.  I used summer semesters to satisfy any requirements that I could not cover during the fall and spring semesters.  After junior college it was the quarter system, which was even more to my advantage.

Most teachers/professors graded on a curve, where they fully expect to have a fairly predictable distribution of ‘A’s, ‘B’s and ‘C’s.  In my experience, the “procrastinate and cram” people had little chance of earning ‘A’s, which left the ’A’s available to the “start early and peck away” people like me.  I also found that I was more likely to participate in class than the average student – maybe because I was more prepared, or more interested, or was listening better.  In fact, I found that it was almost impossible for me to sit in a class for an entire period and not say anything.  One more advantage, perhaps, is that I saw the teachers as authority figures, and I respected them for their knowledge.  I think they could feel that when I participated in class.

In my very first semester in junior college I took a history class, and in connection with the first test that was given, the teacher said something to the effect, “Don’t come up to me afterwards and ask, ‘Why did you give me a C?’  Ask ‘What do I need to do to earn an A?’”  That was a revelation to me.  Sure enough, she gave me a C on that test, and I stayed after class to ask her how I could do better.  She seemed to really appreciate my attitude and interest (and maybe the respect I was showing) and the last thing she said to me at the end of our talk was, “I have a feeling that you will be doing ‘A’ work by the end of the semester.”  Sure enough, I earned an ‘A’ for that class.  Actually, I earned all ‘A’s for the three classes I took that first semester in junior college.  But I attribute a lot of that success to that conversation and early revelation. Years later I heard the saying, “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”  How amazingly true in my life!  That teacher will never know what she did for me.

In the spring semester of that first year in junior college I took a Shakespeare class, which I enjoyed very much.  But the first mid-term paper I submitted earned the margin note: “You insult your mind when you use it as a mere tape recorder.”  I had heard an interesting idea in class and thought it would make a good term paper.  Evidently, it did not contain any original thinking that the teacher could discern, but was merely an echoing back to him of what he had said in class.  By the time we submitted our final term papers I had picked up on how he thought and what he looked for.  I still have a copy of that term paper from 1968-69 where he wrote on the back of the last page, “…you should be studying at Harvard.  If I can ever write a recommendation for you, please give me the opportunity.”  You can bet I took him up on it.  In fact, that would be the second key event in junior college that has made all the difference in my life. 

Quick aside: I remember taking a literature class one summer at College of San Mateo that started with poetry.  The first class meeting the teacher handed out two poems and asked us to indicate which one we liked better.  I was with the great majority in choosing the one that turned out to be from a Hallmark greeting card.  The teacher then informed us that the one we did not respond to very well was one of Shakespeare’s sonnets!  For me, at least, this was a very effective way to get my attention and convince me that when it came to poetry (and perhaps literature in general) I had a lot to learn.  This was not a key event in my education, except that I was proud of my reaction: Some of my less mature classmates insisted that the Hallmark greeting card poem was good and Shakespeare “stunk” or words to that affect.  What is that saying…”A mind is like a parachute: it is no good unless it is open.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment