Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Installment # 25

More recently (1998, I think) Sandy and I bought a timeshare, which we are happy about, use a lot and do not regret, but my thought process was all whacky.  On the plus side, the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency had placed a moratorium on new rooms, so with continued growth in visitors to the area, I figured that the value of our timeshare could only go up.  So if we ended up not liking our decision, we could always sell it for more than we paid for it.  As we were leaving the building that day I noticed a big sign across the street advertising 70% off on timeshare resales.  That was my first clue that the secondary market for timeshares was nothing like the real estate market.  Who knew?  I also figured that the price of accommodations at 5-star hotels were going to keep going up and up, with inflation and with more and more people from around the world travelling and putting pressure on hotel rates.  Well, after getting through the “dot com bomb” of 2000 and the “great recession” of 2009, rates are finally experiencing upward pressure, but it has been about a 15 year period of low and falling room rates.

During that 15 years, the rise of the Internet and social networking have created numerous ways for would-be vacationers to find good deals on-line.  In addition to Craig’s List, Amazon.com, eBay, etc, there are sites like Vacation Rentals by Owner where people can find the accommodations to fit their budgets and tastes. I didn’t see that coming!  But guess what is not protected from inflation and has risen every year…our maintenance fees!   With careful planning, flexibility about mid-week and off-season deals, and with the ability to be spontaneous, we can keep our stays down to $100 or so per night at four and five star hotels (based on dividing our annual maintenance fees by the number of nights we book).  This is still better than most anything available in the market, but we are committed to paying the maintenance fees whether we want to travel or not.  Other people can look on-line, see something that peaks their interest, and decide to go or not.  If they don’t want to spend the money, they don’t need to.  Sandy and I know that if we didn’t have the required fees, we probably wouldn’t get around to going anywhere.  We love the experiences we have been enjoying these last 15 years and that we look forward to in the future. 

So this works for us, but when the resort operator asks how likely we are to recommend “vacation ownership” (the new term for timeshare) to friends and family, the answer is “not very.”  The typical family with one or two careers and one or two children in school and in sports has just a few narrow windows of time for family vacations.  Also, kids would rather go camping, in many cases, than use the pool and game room at a fancy hotel.  Over the years we ended up acquiring a total of 30,000 points at an average cost of just under $2 per point, or some $58,000 in total.  Our timeshare owner/operator, Diamond Resorts International, has increased the purchase prices to some $8 to $9 per point in the last two years.  I hope people are really buying at those prices, because it means that our points really are worth more than we paid for them.  As we get older and less mobile, instead of passing our points (and related maintenance fee obligations) on to our children or grandchildren, perhaps I will find a way to sell out at $4-5 per point in a private transaction.

As a more current example, my logical mind has wondered why the country of Mexico doesn’t simply take a good look at our economic system and do the same thing that we are doing.  I mean, when a new professional sports stadium is to be built, or an airport is to be upgraded, don’t they go around the country and see what the state of the art is and what other people have recently done, take the best ideas and do that?  Why can’t a country like Mexico, which borders on the U.S., study what we have done and do the same?  If I were the president of Mexico and saw that my citizens were risking life and limb to try to sneak into the U.S. for the hope of having a better life, I would be so embarrassed.  I would want to create the same or better opportunities in my own country.  Why can’t they do what we did?  People with common sense offer a variety of answers, such as cultural differences, corruption in government, lack of universities, etc.  In each case I think, “Well, maybe, but I’m not so sure.”  Short answer:  I don’t.  But at least I know I don’t know.

In a similar vein, logic says that wages and standards of living should move closer together throughout the world, because of the Internet and advances in electronics and communications.  In Silicon Valley, companies must source their products and services where they can minimize costs, because that is what their competitors are doing.  So wages should be going up in some parts of the world, due to increased demand, and down in the U.S. due to reduced demand, until some sort of parity exists.  But while there is some evidence of this, it is very minor and very slow in taking shape.  Sandy doesn’t sew our clothes anymore, because it has become cheaper to buy them.  And the stores in our area have very customer-friendly return policies, in case she changes her mind on something that she has bought.  She says that between the cost of the pattern and the cost of the material, it is much more sensible to simply buy the item, unless you have lots of time and really like to sew as a hobby.  A huge, fresh delicious apple pie from Costco costs so little that it makes no sense to make it at home unless, again, you enjoy baking as a hobby.  To my mind, these are examples of an improved standard of living in the U.S.

What has happened is that labor costs in some parts of the world are so low that the retail stores can keep prices very low, and still make good profits.  But as American companies place increasing production demands on companies in third world countries, and compete with each other for those goods and services, prices and standards of living in those countries should rise.  A middle class should arise.  With today’s mobility of ideas, technology, capital and management, I don’t know why this isn’t happening on a much more noticeable basis.

I suppose a parallel puzzle is why we have “rich” states and “poor” states within the U.S.  Weather of course impacts the desirability of living in certain states, hence housing prices in those states, which in turn may impact prevailing wages. However, taken as a whole, the standards of living among the states should move toward a very similar level.  Otherwise, why wouldn’t residents of certain states move to other states?  There are no doubt some common sense answers, but I don’t know what they are.  Some people want to stay near family, but that seems like a fairly minor factor in the overall scheme of things.  Maybe not.  Maybe moving the way I did, from New York to California, takes a set of personal attributes or circumstances that are more the exception than the rule.  I don’t know.

Another example of how my brain works is the signs we see as we approach the border line of a city by car.  They show population and elevation.  Population is interesting and relevant, but elevation?  Unless it is really unusual, who cares about the elevation?  A much more interesting and relevant bit of information would be per capita income, or racial mix, or maybe something about the crime rate or property values or something.  These are things that change slowly, and could be updated whenever the population is updated on the sign.  I’ve never asked anybody why the signs all show elevation, but I suspect it is a holdover from pre-airplane days when the map makers were helping people plan the push westward via covered wagon and the building of the trans-continental railroad.  Why else would elevation matter to a motorist except if, as mentioned, it is really unusual?

For the longest time I was frustrated about the medical profession’s seeming lack of expertise, in terms of definitive causes and effects.  I or a loved one would complain of a symptom, and the doctor would start in with, “Well, it could be this or it could be that; it may be nothing, we’re not sure,” etc.  I would think, “You guys have been studying and working on the human body for many centuries now, and the human body has not changed in all that time.  Surely the medical profession has seen everything and knows everything there is to know about the human body and what can go wrong and how to treat it.”  I finally had to accept that, firstly, all that accumulated knowledge cannot reside in any one person, no matter how smart they are, and that secondly, we humans really complicate matters with our perceptions of what we think we are experiencing, and with our abilities to express what we are experiencing.  It is probably a lot easier to work on animals, because they don’t complicate matters by saying anything.

In 2nd or 3rd grade the boy next to me showed me how to pretend to drop my pencil, then bend way down and look up the skirt of the nearest girl while retrieving the pencil.  First of all, I would never have thought of that, but just as today, I recognize a good idea when I hear it.  In this case, I went along with it, not really understanding what we were hoping to see or find up the girl’s skirt.  I didn’t have any sisters and didn’t know how girls felt about boys seeing their underwear.  If I had realized that they would be embarrassed or would cry, I’m sure I would have been a lot more motivated.  I think the teacher even asked what we thought we were doing, and I really didn’t know.  Innocence is the best defense.

Some people contemplate the meaning of life while on the pot.  I contemplated the design of a roll of toilet paper.  Why all these little squares?  Did they really think anybody could use just one square at a time?  Something tells me I was thinking of my 3rd grade teacher who encouraged us to take only one piece of paper from the paper towel dispenser.  She said, “Look.  My hands are bigger than yours, and I only need to use one sheet.”  Maybe she wiped her hands on her dress when we weren’t looking.  Anyway, unlike the milk carton issue, I don’t think I ever asked anyone why toilet paper had so many little squares.  Consequently, I think I was grown before it dawned on me how awkward it would be to have perforations every 12 – 24 inches or so.   Of course we were expected to use more than one square at a time; the perforations were for convenience in tearing off the desired length.  Who knew?

There were no mechanical pencils in my school days.  We mainly used #2 yellow pencils, with those orange or brown colored erasers attached.  I don’t know how many times I started to use the eraser and found it to be hard as a rock and of no use for the purpose of neatly erasing anything.  I would wonder, in frustration, why a company would produce pencils with lousy, useless erasers.  Once mechanical pencils came out I never gave that another thought until helping one of the grandkids recently.  Then it dawned on me that if you leave a pencil lying around for a year or so, the eraser becomes hard and useless.  They work fine when they are new.  Glad I solved that one before the end of my life!

Here is another “puzzlement”, as Winnie the Pooh would say: Given today’s mobile electronic capabilities, why is the floor of the New York Stock Exchange still a mob scene of people yelling and screaming and waving their arms for attention?  What are they doing that couldn’t be accomplished better and more quickly by computer in the comfort of an office?  Or this: Why do I see people going to great lengths to get a parking spot as close to the Quicksilver Park entrance as possible to begin their exercise – walking or jogging.  Some of them are probably on a tight time schedule, but not most of them, I would guess.  And the time spent circling for a good parking spot could be used for their primary goal - exercise.  Is it just me?

Why in the San Francisco Bay Area are we often worried about drought conditions and not getting enough rainfall, when thriving desert locations, like Palm Springs and Las Vegas, never seem to worry about rainfall or water shortages?  Whatever they are doing to supply water to those places…why aren’t we doing that in the Bay Area?

Where did the term “extra virgin olive oil” come from?  How can something be extra virgin?  It’s like being a little pregnant: either you are or you are not.  You can’t be a little pregnant.  How about the common cold?  Some say it is not from being cold, or sitting around in wet clothing, but from being exposed to germs.  But we are surrounded by germs all the time.  Well, then they say that if we are exposed to germs at a time when our resistance happens to be low, then we can catch a cold.  But what would cause our resistance to be low?  Sitting around in wet clothes?  Others say that if we are exposed to germs that we are not accustomed to, as in being surrounded by strangers in close quarters, such as on an airplane flight, at a time when our resistance is low - that is when we can catch a cold.  But why does our resistance have low periods in the first place?  Who knows?  It seems like most people think they know.  I’m good at knowing that I don’t know a lot of things.

Most people in San Jose drink bottled water, believing that our city water isn’t pure enough.  I must agree that it doesn’t taste very good, but it is probably safe to drink.  Some parents (who probably don’t want to spend the money on bottled water for their kids) say that it is better to expose the kids to a relatively safe level of impurities so that they can build up tolerances and immunities.  I don’t know if that has validity or not.  Mom used to say that wearing sunglasses was a mistake, because you weaken your eyes’ natural ability to handle the sunshine.  Maybe she just didn’t want to spend the money on sunglasses.  I don’t know.

The Internet search engines, like Google, will return thousands of responses in less than a second to any key word of phrase entered.  Not only “How does it do that?” But how did all that data get in there in the first place?  I can’t imagine the size of the army of people it would take to gather what seems like every know fact in the world and enter it into a data base over a relatively short period of time.

I also wonder about the white bread we used to eat in the 1950s versus the so-called multi-grain, high-fiber products that are supposed to be so good for us.  I heard a personal trainer telling a gym member that the reason we have so much obesity and diabetes these days is that the way our bread is made has changed.  She said that mothers back in the 1950s used to feed their kids regular old white bread (ours did!), but neither the mothers nor the kids had weight problems (true for us!).  The way they make wheat these days, she said, is causing lots of health problems.  That almost sounds like a conspiracy theory.  Why would “they” do that?  Sandy points out a family only had one car in those days, and moms did not have jobs outside the home.  Kids walked to school, and moms walked to the stores.  That’s why they did not get fat or unhealthy from white bread.  So I wonder wherein the truth lies. 

Similarly, the era of fast foods began in 1959 with the first McDonald’s restaurant outlet.  I recall when we were raising our kids how the media was warning us that we were going to become a nation of overweight, unhealthy people if this trend continued.  Well, we are.  Is that what caused it?  What about the sedentary life style of driving everywhere and sitting at our computers all day and our TVs all night?  It is a puzzlement.  What about sugar?  I was just reading that in 1822 the average person consumed 45 grams of sugar every 5 days (approximately the amount in one can of cola); in 2012 the average person consumed 756 grams (130 pounds) every 5 days.  The explanation given is that companies have found inexpensive ways to create sugar-based food additives that make their products taste better.  The bottom line is that 70% of Americans are overweight, including 30% that are obese.

Why do most Americans drink coffee in the morning, instead of tea?  We originally came from Great Britain and other European countries, where tea is all the rage.  Didn’t the early settlers bring that preference with them?  Most coffee is grown in South America.  How did coffee become the national habit of North America, instead of tea?

I remember watching the front wheels of cars as they made turns and wondering how in the world the drivers knew when the wheels were pointing straight ahead again.  It probably wasn’t until I started learning to drive that I saw that steering a car was about the same as riding a bike.  Did I look down at the front tire of my bike to see if I was going straight?  No!  When I had my permit and was learning to drive, I didn’t know that the turn indicators turned themselves off upon completing a turn.  I would blink for, say, a left turn, complete the turn, and then try to turn the blinker off, which caused it to blink for a right turn.   While the adult in the car was trying to teach me about the clutch, braking, steering, accelerating, etc, I was totally distracted by a turn indicator that I thought was malfunctioning.

More puzzlements: When a cell phone battery is new, some people tell us to let it drain all the way down before recharging it, and then give it a good, full charge; otherwise it won’t hold the charge for as long, and you will need to recharge it more and more frequently and eventually will need to keep it on the charger at all times. Others say that was true years ago, but that the modern batteries don’t have that problem.  You can keep them on the charger overnight, or on the car charger while driving, and it will have no effect on the life of the charge or the life of the battery.  Others, hearing that, say it is not true; that batteries have not changed.  These are the times I wish I had more common sense, or at least was delusional enough to think for sure that I knew the answer.

Another puzzlement for me is frequency of oil changes for the car.  The manufacturers say every 3,000 miles or 3 months.  My auto mechanic (who should know!) says 5,000.  I asked if the 3,000 mile guideline was an old concept from back when cars were not built as well as modern cars.  He said, on the contrary, the manufacturers used to say 5,000 or even 7,000, but changed to 3,000.  He didn’t know why, but I suspect it has to do with their lawyers and insurers.  Most auto maintenance people want the extra business, so are not inclined to dissuade customers from the greater frequency of oil changes.   Not knowing what to believe, I tend to shoot for 4,000 miles between oil changes.  The wise old saying, “Oil is cheaper than parts” sticks in my mind, too. 

What about gasoline?  Some say it is all the same; that the major brands are no better than the cheaper brands.  Chevron says that they add something called Techtron that keeps the car engine cleaner than if you didn’t use it.  I have used Chevron for many years, partly because I know someone who used to work in management for them and partly because I like their chevron logo.  In the Army, the 3-stripe chevron on the sleeve (identical to Chevron’s sign) indicated the first level of sergeant (E-5).  For E-6, E-7 and E-8 they added one, two and three of what they called “rockers” on the bottom, but the chevron stayed on top.  I didn’t even like the Army, so why am I attracted to the logo?  Who knows?

Dad was a diehard Texaco customer.  He said he was convinced that his car ran better on Texaco gas.  I think he just liked their giant star logo.  He also believed that it was wise to pay extra for the premium grade, because the higher octane gas improved his gas mileage to an extent that more than paid for itself.  Of course, he would have needed to run his car on several successive tanks of regular gas and carefully keep track of his mileage, then switch and do the same thing with the premium gas in order to make the comparison.  I would be surprised if he ever did that.  At any rate, the folks who go to the cheapest gas stations tend to laugh up their sleeves at the rest of us who they think are paying more for essentially the same thing. 

My neighbor uses an Internet application called “Gas Buddy” to find the cheapest gas while traveling.  We were traveling with them once, and he proudly pulled into a gas station that was completely swarming with cars waiting in lines for their turns to save at the pump.  I thought to myself that the savings would need to be very good in order to justify the time and hassle involved.  And what if the cheaper brands really are inferior?  That would represent a false economy, indeed.

I’ve heard something similar about canned fruits and vegetables.  It is pointed out that the huge trailer trucks hauling produce from the farms to the canneries are carrying loads that are indistinguishable; the same loads of the same items go to a variety of canneries for processing, packaging and labeling.  The same stuff under the Del Monte label, for example, is the same stuff as under any other label.  Others say “No way.”  Wherein lies the truth?  As another puzzlement, why isn’t the advent of the DVR changing the television landscape by discouraging advertisers?  An analyst said recently that the only programs we watch live anymore are sporting events and morning talk shows. Why would a company pay the high rates for advertising spots on all those other shows when they know a high percentage of viewers, like Sandy and I, are fast-forwarding through the commercials?  Who knows?

Then there are some cause and effect type things where it is not easy to be certain which is which.  It is not critical to know the answer to some of these, but it is interesting to mull them over.  For example, at my age a lot of men are prompted by their prostate glands to get out of bed and visit the bathroom two or more times per night.  I don’t seem to have that problem.  I probably average once per night, with zero times per night running about equal to two times (10-20% of the time).  So I often lay there wondering: am I awake because I need to pee (did the biological need wake me up?), or am I laying here thinking about visiting the bathroom because I am awake? It is obviously not critical that I know the answer for sure, but it is an interesting question. 

I have never tried fasting, but I have read that the hunger pangs come at usual mealtimes, but go away after an hour or so, only to return at the next mealtime.  So the successful faster just needs to get through the usual mealtimes until the hunger pangs subside.  I also read that these hunger pangs do not become more and more intense the more meals you miss, but remain about the same and, I think, become less intense after about three days.  That is what enables someone to fast for weeks at a time; after the first few days it gets easier.  What has this got to do with peeing at night?  I don’t know; maybe nothing.  It is just interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment