Sunday, January 10, 2016

Installment # 12

Uncle Harold always wore a hat, and Dad never did.  I mention it as a sign of the times, because in those days approximately 50% of men wore hats and 50% did not.  This had changed from earlier times when most men wore hats.  In fact, it was explained once that the way that reporters estimated crowd size was to count the number of hats.  They already had estimates of the percentage of the crowd that were women, and of the percentage of men who wore hats.  From their vantage points, the easiest thing was to count the number of hats and extrapolate to the number of men in total and then the total crowd size. (Don’t count the feet and divide by two!).

The other interesting thing is the controversy about whether wearing a hat contributed to baldness, and whether it contributed to dandruff.  The men who did not wear hats could argue that the hair needs fresh air and sunshine, etc.  I guess the baldness thing has been debunked, but I wanted to talk about dandruff.  Young people today are probably unaware that dandruff was a major problem until companies developed and marketed shampoo that was not so harsh on the hair and scalp.  People only shampooed their hair about once per week, due to the harsh products and the permanent damage they caused.  As a result, a lot of people had unsightly dandruff problems that were very embarrassing.

The flakey white stuff was especially visible on the collars and shoulders of men’s and women’s dress clothes, thus ruining whatever favorable impression one was hoping to make.  In addition to hats and shampoos, controversy swirled around whether dandruff was a sign of tension, anxiety, nervousness, stress, etc.  At first the companies marketed “anti-dandruff” shampoo, which was met with the kind of skepticism you would expect, but eventually all shampoos were reformulated to limit, if not eliminate, potential harm to the hair and scalp.  People began shampooing every day, and the dandruff problem largely went away.  I’m sure some people still have dandruff today, but not many.  You never hear about it anymore. 

Yes, there was actually a time when even teenage girls did not shampoo their hair more than about once per week.  I remember how Patty Hyland and her crew would hang out on Saturday afternoon with their hair in those large, ugly curlers after shampooing.  It was (or at least was supposed to be) a sign that they were going out that night…that they “had a date.”  Well, I fell for it, anyway.






I’ve lived in California since 1964 (age 20), where we don’t have those cold winters.  One year I noticed the pleasant feeling that comes over me when I hear a lawn mower outside or an airplane overhead – not the commercial jets so much as the small, privately-owned planes.  I eventually figured out that these sounds were taking me back in my mind to warm summer days on Long Island when we could have the windows open and hear the airplanes and lawn mowers, although not many people owned power lawn mowers in those days, at least not at our socio-economic level. 

Anyway, the point is that the sounds that we hear from indoors year round in California, with our windows or doors open, are associated in my mind with sounds we could only hear indoors during the summer on Long Island.  As a result I sort of relive the happy feeling of being in my room, no school, maybe just waking up, and hearing what really would be the sounds of summer.  I’ll bet I have other such associations and that most of us have many associations, maybe on a subconscious level, that we take for granted or do not wonder about.

I remember that Dad was an avid Brooklyn Dodger baseball fan and would have friendly arguments with the NY (baseball) Giants and NY Yankee fans.  The guy next door (Mr. English, I think) was a Giants fan, and one time declared that the Dodger’s centerfielder, Duke Snyder, was too chubby, and that their right fielder, Carl Furillo, was too skinny.  Dad asked me for my baseball cards; saw on the statistics that both players were listed as 6 feet tall and 190 pounds; and promptly marched over to the neighbor’s house to settle the argument.  Predictably, I grew up as a Dodgers fan and could recite every starting player and position. 

I also “hated” the Yankees, as every good Dodgers fan should.  At the time I thought that the starting lineup for the Brooklyn Dodgers was just as permanent as the Brooklyn Bridge.  In fact, in the references I just made to Duke Snyder and Carl Furillo, I recited from memory the names of those outfielders and the spelling of their names, with no hesitation.  Ah, the innocence of youth.  I could sit here and recite the rest of the Brooklyn Dodger line up of the mid-1950s just to prove my point, but there is no way I could prove that I didn’t just look it up on the Internet.

Some aspect of my innocence was shattered for good by the decision in 1958 to relocate the Dodgers to Los Angeles.  The Giant’s moved to San Francisco the same year, but I was not concerned about that.  The decision and announcement was actually made in 1957, and I think I went into a form of suspended disbelief.  I remember the newspaper article that said the Dodgers would henceforth only be a small box score or line item in the newspapers once they move.  I was only 13 in 1957 and getting a sad dose of reality.

Oddly enough, life went on.  I suppose the 3 years away in the military helped.  The only two baseball teams people were rooting for when I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in 1964, were the SF Giants and the Oakland A’s. Oakland was a colorful team, but I never could relate to the American League, thanks to the hated Yankees, and that was before implementation of the designated hitter (1973).  After that I really could not relate.  I marvel at how easily I became interested in the San Francisco Giants and uninterested in the Dodgers, who were about 500 miles to the south.  By 1965 I don’t think there were any players left on the Dodgers roster that I had followed in 1957 or earlier.  The Giants still had Willie Mays, who played for the Giants from 1951 to 1972, except for 2 years in the military (’52-’53).

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld (born and raised in Massapequa, by the way, but not while I was there!) is famous for taking the everyday things of life and showing us how funny they are.  He once pointed out that the players on a baseball team change continuously, what with free agency, annual contract negotiations, trade deadlines, the draft, retirements, etc.  He says what you are really rooting for is the uniform, since the players keep changing.  You are really saying, “My clothes can beat your clothes!”  That line of (admittedly flawed) reasoning would have been lost on me back when I was an avid Brooklyn Dodger fan.  But like most of Seinfeld’s material, there is some truth to it.

We had dinner at Aunt Dot’s house fairly frequently, though as a youngster I paid no attention to how often, and whether it was appropriately reciprocated at our house.  Come to think of it, I don’t remember Aunt Dot or Uncle Harold ever being in our house, though that could just be a memory lapse on my part.  One of the family stories told and retold is the time we were about to sit down for a spaghetti dinner at Aunt Dot’s, and Cousin Harold yelled, “Oh boy, skeddies!” whereupon Donald promptly corrected him: “No, Harold, not skeddies, buhskeddie.”  Harold was notorious in our family for making up his own words or pronouncing them in whatever way was easiest for him.  Family pediatrician Doctor Pisk sounded more like ‘octopus’ when Harold referred to him by name. 

If I am not mistaken, it was Harold who climbed or fell into a garbage can that was loaded with yellow jackets, and received so many bites that he swelled up unbelievably and of course was in tremendous pain and discomfort.  By the time I heard about it he was in recovery.  I don’t know where they took him or what they did for him, but I know that some people are dangerously allergic to bee stings and would have died from that experience.  As with me and penicillin, we were just lucky that Harold was not allergic to bee stings.

Another favorite that Mom and Aunt Dot loved to tell was about a friend of Harold and Donald’s whom they apparently would pick on and torment mercilessly.  His name was Neuman, and he lived on the next block over.  They were all around 5 or 6 years old, and Neuman really wanted to be their friend and play with them.  They were probably the only kids his age in the neighborhood.  He used to come down the sidewalk with his tricycle shouting, “Harold! Donald! Here’s Neuman!” and they would usually end up sending him home bruised and crying, with a banged up trike.  His mother probably gave him a pep talk and told him to tell Donald and Harold right from the start that they were not to hit him or throw rocks at him or harm his trike. 

So, sure enough, here would come Neuman down the block yelling, “Harold! Donald! Here’s Neuman and you better not hit me or throw rocks at me or touch my bike!” or words to that effect.  And of course Donald and Harold would set about doing the exact things to him that he said they shouldn’t do.  Poor kid. Aunt Dot says that one time she and Mom and Neuman’s mother, Fran, were having coffee together when Neuman came in crying and somewhat mortified to report that Harold and Donald “pissed on me,” as he put it.  Per the story, Fran told Neuman to go back and piss on them!

Mom and Aunt Dot were, of course, friendly with Fran and tried to get their kids to be nicer to Neuman, but it was fairly hopeless.  As far as Harold and Donald were concerned, Neuman came down the block almost asking them to abuse him, and they were happy to oblige. Fran used to call him by a nickname: “Noonie” (Not sure how it would be spelled, but that is what it sounded like).  So Mom and Aunt Dot would refer to Noonie when they would tell the stories.  I recall a time when Neuman’s dad announced that he wanted to put in his own below-ground swimming pool and needed to dig a big hole in his backyard.  I was young enough to think it was quite feasible for us kids to get some tools, start digging and be a big help.  It must have been springtime, and we had an urgency to get finished before summer, so we could all enjoy the pool.  I remember how enthusiastically we started and how quickly we realized that digging a hole that big was way, way beyond our capabilities. 

Over the course of an hour or so my enthusiasm went from very high to non-existent.  It was probably a good experience for me, or at least a lesson learned, given that I still remember it.  I don’t recall whether Neuman’s father really thought he could dig such a big hole without equipment, and I never knew if he was serious and was planning on renting some equipment.  I don’t think he planned on paying a crew of men to do it…no one had that kind of money in our neighborhood in those days.  I’m sure he didn’t think we kids could do it.  Hopefully he was just letting us figure it out for ourselves.


We were pretty young.  Not many years before, I recall how we had announced that we were going to dig all the way to China.  Someone had told us about the shape of the world and how directly opposite us was a place called China.  We weren’t sure how they could live upside down (since we were living right side up), but we wanted to find out.  If nothing else, I learned that the deeper you want to dig, the wider the hole needs to be at the top.  Who would have thought?  This was around the same time that one of our buddies announced that he could count to the highest number, and the rest of us debated whether we believed him.  I mean, if you can count to 100, how many more numbers can there be?

No comments:

Post a Comment