Monday, January 25, 2016

Installment # 42

I was generally oblivious to things, a condition I have gradually grown out of to some extent.  These days I think I am selectively oblivious to things I cannot change, to things I find repulsive and wish weren’t true, and probably to certain social protocols.  Over the years, Sandy has clued me in on a lot of subtleties that I was not picking up on.  Once I catch on to something, I can hopefully apply the same principle to similar new situations.  My general oblivion may have been a defense mechanism on my part to protect myself from the negatives around me.  When Mom arranged to meet me with the car and make our escape, she actually had to ask me, “Have you noticed that your father has not worked in years?”  She couldn’t assume that I did! 

As further evidence, I recall sitting and reading in our front room in our little apartment in Inwood when Mom came rushing into the room asking, “What’s that smell?  What’s burning?”  She rushed to the kitchen, found the problem and took care of it, then came back with “How could you not have smelled that?  Where is your head?  Would this place have burned to the ground around you while you sat there reading?”  Years later I have come to the realization that in general women have better senses of smell than men do, and that specifically, my sense of smell is worse than average. But I certainly should have been aware that something was burning in the kitchen.

Sandy complained for many years about how I would leave the coffee pot plugged in for several hours, getting refills as needed.  She would ask, “How can you drink that stuff?  It smells old and awful.”  I really thought she was exclaiming about my sense of taste, not the awful smell.  Also, when she would boil water for spaghetti or teas or something, she would turn the heat up to medium or a little higher, and it would take “forever” to boil.  I would come along and crank it up as high as it would go.  It wasn’t until we got a more modern stove top a few years ago that I caught on that the old style burners often had bits of spilled food on them, and when I cranked them up, they smoked and stunk.  Who knew?

Comedian Bob Newhart released two comedy albums in 1960 and 1961: The button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart (reached #1 on the charts), and The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back (hit #2 on the charts).  One way to describe my life would be that of a continual effort to overcome a button-down mind, though I’m not really sure what Mr. Newhart meant by it or what I mean by it.  Here is an example: I have 5 dinner plates to unload from the dishwasher and put away.  There is a stack of 7 plates already in the cupboard.  If I don’t rotate the dishes, we will be using the same 5 or so over and over, and the other 7 will remain essentially new and unused.  Can’t have that, my mind says, so I take down the 7, put up the 5, and then stack the unused 7 on top.  I guess my mind is thinking that if we wear out the 5 from repeated use, we will need to buy a complete new set of 12.  The set will last a lot longer if we use each of the 12 more or less evenly. Actually, I don’t know what my mind was thinking.

The same holds for a drawer full of socks or underwear.  Before putting the clean ones away I pull out the unused ones, put the newly cleaned ones on the bottom, and then put the unused ones on top. The rationale is a lot sketchier here, because we only buy underwear and sox in sets of 3 or so; we only need to replace the ones that wear out, not the whole collection.  It just seems wrong to use the same ones over and over while the others remain in the draw in nearly brand new condition.  I have actually liberated myself from silly habits like this, but don’t think I don’t think about it every time I put things away!  In fact, Sandy puts my clean clothes in the drawer probably 80% of the time, and I assume she puts them on top, so I often take fresh ones from the bottom.  That’s my version of a button-down mind.

During high school I played on the junior varsity baseball and football teams, plus dabbled with wrestling and basketball.  When I quit football it was the varsity team at the beginning of my junior year.  I had discovered beer and cigarettes during the summer, had lost my physical conditioning, and was very discouraged when I found that I could not perform at the beginning of the new school year the way I had at the end of the previous school year.  I did not have the sense to realize that it takes a few weeks to get back in shape, if you haven’t been staying in shape for a few months.  If the coaches tried to tell me that, I guess I wasn’t listening.  I was probably oblivious.

I just realized that I have no memory of how I got home to North Massapequa from my after-school sports activities in 9th and 10th grade.  The buses left after school was over.  I must have gotten a ride from someone and was so oblivious as to be unaware.  I wonder if I ever thanked anybody’s parents for helping me get home.  Amazing.  Now I pick up Brianna and one or two friends after middle school.  I wonder whether they are so self-absorbed as to not remember how they got home.  Probably not.  Brianna, for one, is much more aware of the world around her than I was.
The year I dabbled with basketball, I was on the team just for something to do and probably to avoid going home.  I was not much of a basketball player and would be put in near the end of a game if we were hopelessly behind or comfortably ahead.  But then one night our team engaged in some vandalism at a rival school after the game.  Somehow the starting team members were the ones primarily identified as the culprits, and I was not.  They were kicked off the team, and I got a lot of playing time.  I don’t recall, but we probably lost all our games after that.

I also wasn’t much of a wrestler, either.  With hindsight, I just didn’t have the personal motivation and intensity to summon all my strength and abilities and attack and be relentless.  I was very strong and thought I could get out of any hold my opponent tried to get me in, but it didn’t always work out that way.  That may have been the first indication of my passive nature.  I just wasn’t aggressive enough.  I discovered that it is lonely out there on the mat one-on-one, with all the others watching.  I’d rather be part of a team that is on the field together.

In baseball, I enjoyed being out in the field more than being at bat.  That is unusual and probably indicative of a passive nature.  Most players would rather bat than play the field.  I played center field and prided myself on always getting a good jump on the ball, being quick, covering a lot of ground out there, and hustling to back up the infielders and my fellow outfielders on almost every play.  I played Little League through age 12 and what they called Babe Ruth League (age 13 – 15) on Long Island.  In San Jose they call it Pony League.  I also played for the high school varsity team.  I made the Pony League All-Star team most years.  I actually pitched a playoff game when we ran out of pitchers, and threw a two or three-hitter.  It must have been good control, because I did not have any real speed.

In my mid teens I started finding that the ball seemed to be “bouncing around” in the air on me, especially when I had to run hard to catch it.  I missed a few fly balls, and my confidence began to weaken.  Believe it or not, it was just a few years ago, near the end of my 30+ years as a runner, that a casual comment by a fellow runner helped me realize what had happened.  He had played a lot of baseball in his day, at a higher level than me, and was currently travelling to watch his granddaughter, who was on a competitive softball team.  Somehow I mentioned the “bouncing around” issue, and he said it is caused by running on your heels.  I was stunned.  He pointed out, as I already knew, that track runners are taught to run on the balls of their feet and even on their toes when sprinting all out, and to keep their heads still.  I had never made the connection before. 

Evidently, as a young baseball player I had slipped into the bad habit of running on my heels instead of my toes and mid-foot.  Now I wonder how far I might have gone in baseball if a coach had spotted that and I was able to correct it.  That, in turn, led me to realize how important good coaching is to a young athlete.  I have grandchildren who have qualified to play/dance at the competitive levels, and the most exciting thing about that is that they get exposed to great coaching.  It can make all the difference.  In my general oblivion, I can imagine a coach asking me, after I dropped a ball, “What happened out there?” and me responding, “I don’t know.”  I’ll bet if I had been able to describe what was happening, a coach would have been able to get me passed that problem.  I can’t blame them for not knowing.  I wasn’t playing at a high enough level to have a coach who was so good that he would anticipate or guess my problem with me not saying anything about it.

Prior to this recent revelation I had already realized that the most accomplished athletes were the ones who responded to training, responded to the competition, and elevated their games.  There are many physically gifted young athletes who never make it to the top of their sports, because at some level they stop responding and elevating their game.  I don’t think it is physical.  I am talking about the thousands of young athletes who are all blessed physically, but do not continue to progress all the way to the top levels.  I have a special respect for those who are able to continue to respond to great coaching and thus maximize their great physical potential.

I’ve noticed that professional athletes and Olympic gold medalists do very well on the Dancing with the Stars television program.  I don’t think it is a coincidence.  In almost every case they struggle initially, then get better and better each week, as they respond to the coaching, the critiquing and the competition.  They’ve learned to “pull” the required performances out of their bodies.  Before I move away from the subject of professional sports, let me comment on something I found very interesting and thought others would, too.  There was an era in major league baseball where statisticians began to keep track of how many players, and which players, had 30 or more home runs and 30 or more stolen basis in a single season (the 30-30 club).  When Willie Mays did it in 1956 he renewed interest in the feat, as he was only the second player ever to have done it, and the first since 1922.  He did it again the following year, but that was it. 

After Bobby Bonds achieved the 30-30 club five times during the 1970s, and his son Barry Bonds matched that record during his career, Willie said that if he had known the statisticians were going to keep track of such a thing, maybe he would have paid more attention to stealing bases.  (He hit 30+ home runs most seasons).  The reason for the special attention, of course, is that it is so rare to find both the great power and the great speed in the same person.
Now, the interesting part is that I was speaking with a man who had coached in the minor leagues – hitting and infield.  When I mentioned Willie Mays’ comment, he pointed out that once Willie McCovey started hitting clean up behind Mays (1959), Mays did not want to leave 1st base open by stealing 2nd; because the opposing team would then walk McCovey intentionally, or “pitch around” him (not give him anything good to hit, at the risk of walking him), which effectively would take the bat out of McCovey’s hands.  Alternatively, if Mays was called out on an attempted steal of 2nd, McCovey would then be batting with no one on base.  Therefore, Mays did not attempt many steals from 1959 on.  I didn’t ask, but I would think the same logic holds for not attempting to steal 3rd: He was already in scoring position at 2nd.  Why take the chance?

For the record, some 38 players have now joined the 30-30 club, and four have gone 40-40.  However, most of these records were achieved during what has been called the “steroid era,” which taints the feats enough to discourage admiration or further discussion here.  I discuss steroid use among young men elsewhere, in connection with the “body image” issues that have plagued young men and women during my time.

Getting back to high school sports, I was on the football field with my team, playing against a rival team, when a large explosion took place somewhere along our bench.  Someone had lit a cherry bomb and tossed it under the team bench.  I never heard whether they figured out who did it, but the only kids above suspicion were the 22 who were on the field.  We couldn’t have done it.  I also don’t recall the extent of any injuries.  In my immature mind, I just knew that I didn’t do it, and could not be on any list of suspects, since I was out on the field at the time.
When I read or hear about these tragic incidences these days where male high school athletes commit sexual assaults on female students, I can almost relate to their very dim understanding of the seriousness of what they were doing and their virtual inability to value the girl as a person.  I remember coming home on the bus from an away game with this cute cheer leader sitting between my buddy and me.  She had developed early and had probably the biggest boobs on the bus.  I think she was sitting next to me because she liked me, but my buddy and I kept grabbing feels until she was crying so much we had to stop.  I recall that we thought it was great fun and were disappointed that she “didn’t handle it very well”.  Of course, we later bragged to the other guys about it, and had no concern at all for how she might have been affected by the incident.  


With all the social media in action today, hopefully boys will get a clue and come to the realization of how devastating such an experience can be for a girl, in some cases even leading to suicide because, as one Los Gatos girl said in her note, “My life is over.”  I would hope that they would not only behave better because of the greater chances of being caught, but because the social media is helping get the message and understanding through to them about how serious and wrong this is.  My buddy and I thought it was harmless fun, or maybe we didn’t think at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment