Friday, January 15, 2016

Installment # 30

There is a word of wisdom that says that you will become like the people you associate with.  I have certainly found that to be true for me.  (Maybe it helps if you are gullible and easily influenced).  I used to run with various groups on the weekends and listen to people talk about their last marathon or their next marathon, or what someone we knew had just done in a marathon.  For a while, I felt that the marathon was not for me.  I have tight, muscular legs and feared that they would be tied up in knots and that I would come to a standstill if I ever tried to keep the running motion going for 26 miles.  But slowly and predictably, listening to all their stories, the germ of the idea got planted in my brain, and was nurtured every week until I needed to do a marathon.  I needed to join the club of all people who had ever run a marathon.

I should mention that in those days you RAN the marathon; you didn’t participate or even complete the marathon, you ran it.  It was not until the second running boom that friends would get together and socialize while walk/jogging for six hours or so in support of some fund raiser.  Nothing wrong with that; it is just not we meant in the early ‘80s by “running a marathon”. Back in the day they used to close the course after 5 hours!

The highlight of my running career was the 1985 New York City Marathon, not that it was my fastest, but because of the incredible crowds and atmosphere.  We were assembled over a huge area on Staten Island.  We had to catch one of the buses to get over there, and then we had to wait for 2-3 hours, during which time I nervously drank too much water and peed several times.  Unfortunately, one of those times was after the race started.  I remember seeing port-o-potties off to the side at around the 3 mile mark; veered over and saw how long the lines were, and decided to just turn my back to the spectators and relieve myself where I stood.  I don’t think anyone saw me.

The race began on the Staten Island side of the Verrazano Bridge.  I remember waiting for the starting cannon to go off and watching several news helicopters circling overhead.  In those days they had all of the woman plus the first-time men on one side of the traffic divide, and the experienced male marathoners on the other.  This was my 7th marathon, so I was not with the women, which may explain why I could so readily pee out in the open.  The two groups ran separate courses for the first 7-8 miles, and then merged.  It was an ingenious way to handle a large field at the start. 

If memory serves correctly, there were about 17,000 runners that year.  The race organization, the New York Roadrunners Club (NYRR), limited the number to as many as they thought they could handle, and they saved a few thousand slots for runners from foreign countries and a few dozen for invited runners (elite runners), so entry for the rest of us was on a lottery basis.  Possibly being from California helped, as they probably wanted as many states as possible somewhat evenly represented.

A glance on-line indicates that the number of finishers for 2013 was over 50,000, so NYRR has found ways to handle an almost unlimited number of runners.  There were 20,000 women and 30,000 men.  I have a hunch they don’t stick all the women with the first-time men any more.  For one thing, that would be way more than half the total and also there are many, many competitive women who need to be away from the slower runners so that they can hit their stride as soon as possible.  I think it was several minutes, crossing the bridge, before I finally could settle into my planned race pace.  The faster runners, male and female, are encouraged to move up near the front at the start, and the rest of us are encouraged not to do that.

One of the stand-out experiences for me was running across the 59th Street Bridge, also known as the Queensboro Bridge, at around mile 15.  By that time the runners are strung out single file, and they have laid a red carpet all the way across the bridge to protect us from the grating that can trip us up and cut us open if we fall.  It becomes eerily quiet after running through the hordes of spectators.  All of a sudden you are alone with your thoughts and the sound of your own breathing and footfall.  On the downside of the bridge I thought I heard a faint, high-pitched buzzing that grew louder and louder.  I finally recognized it as the cheering of the crowd.  Unbeknownst to me, the point where we come off the bridge and on to 5th Avenue (I think it is) is a very popular spot to watch and cheer on the runners.  I felt like an Olympic marathoner must feel entering the stadium near the lead at the end of the race.  That experience alone was worth all the hours and miles of training, all the injuries and recoveries, all the soreness and blisters over the years.

I had flown out to JFK a week before the marathon and spent a few days with Mom and Harry in Vermont, then Mom drove me down to Manhattan to pick up my race packet, then out to Aunt Dot’s, where I stayed for the last few days before the marathon.  I think Uncle Harold drove me into the city and dropped me off the day before the marathon.  A running buddy, Lee Max, had a business trip that included a hotel for me to stay at.  In Vermont I did about a one hour run through the fall foliage that Vermont is famous for.  (The New York City Marathon is generally the first Sunday in November.  This year it was the last Sunday in October, because it fell so close to month end.)  On Long Island I did a 30-40 minute run from one end of the woods we used to play in to the other, and back.  I was shocked at how small the little park was.  As a kid, although I got to know every inch of it, the woods seemed huge and full of adventure.

The other special treat that week was seeing good old Dennis Donovan.  I was 41, so he would have been around 43.  He had married and I think had calmed down considerably.  I’m not sure if it was then or on an earlier occasion that he said he had stopped drinking because he couldn’t afford the medical bills anymore.  It seems he all too often got into a barroom brawl when he drank and ended up needing medical attention.  I doubt his abstinence was a long-term thing, but I’m not sure.  That may have been the last time I saw Dennis.

In my first ten years or so of running, say 1978 to 1988, it seemed like I knew virtually all of the runners in my area, which primarily included South San Jose and Los Gatos.  There just were not that many of us, and we were always spotting each other on the trail, or hearing about the exploits or injuries of runners we knew.  There were just a few running groups or clubs: Quicksilver, West Valley, Los Gatos, etc.  Every Saturday and Sunday morning I would meet a group in the Castillero parking lot, and we would head off into the Quicksilver Park.  I spent many a happy hour listening to and sharing stories with my fellow runners.  One subject that came up a lot was: “Why do we love running?”  We really had no consensus answer, but my favorite response was the guy who said, “Over the years I have chased and been chased by thousands of panting women!”  Good answer!

I was always relatively slower than others on the up hills and relatively faster than others on the down hills.  The lead group would stop every half hour or so, and wait for slower runners to catch up.  We would give them a few seconds to catch their collective breaths then shove off again.  As a consequence, those who needed the most rest got the least, and those who needed the least rest got the most.  In my prime I would be around mid-pack, and get some rest while waiting for the back of the pack to join us.  I recall feeling superior to the laggards that took a little longer to reach our stopping point, yet I marveled at how the top runners would be so kind and encouraging to me and the others.  I had to learn to respect and appreciate all of the runners, not just the ones who were faster than me.  I’m ashamed to admit that I had to learn that by having it demonstrated to me; that it didn’t come naturally to me.  Maybe it is related to my tendency, discussed elsewhere, to not ask people how their weekend was or how their vacation was…because I really wasn’t interested…not recognizing that it is a common courtesy that everyone deserves. 

But to continue: on the down hills I generally kept up with the lead pack.  They could pull away if they wanted to, but it was not a race.  There was not a lot of training benefit to racing down hill, but there was more of a risk of injury.  A lot of runners are tentative on the down hills, for fear of twisting an ankle or something.  With my wide feet, sturdy ankles, and tree trunk legs, I had a lot of confidence about opening up my stride on the downhill, and letting momentum take over.

As my belly got bigger I used to say that the same thing that slowed me down on the up hills sped me up on the down hills.  I said I would throw my belly out in front of me on the downhill and then have to run fast to keep up with it.  These days there are actually casual walkers who take the up hills faster than I can jog them.  Really!  I will see a lone person or small group up the hill ahead of me, and find that I am not closing the distance gap at all.  I will catch them on the downhill, however.  There is a long hill in the Quicksilver Park that I used to take me less than 4 minutes to run up.  Now it takes me 5 minutes to run down!  I’m not exaggerating!  I would guess that if we chose 100 runners at random and we all started off together on a group training run (not a race), I would beat maybe one or two uphill (or maybe none), but I probably would beat 25 or so on the downhill.  Back in the day, I would have beaten maybe 50% on the uphill and 90% on the downhill (again, not racing, but on a training run.  In a race, I would beat maybe 75% downhill).  I just mention all this because it is weird and I have never known why it is so.

For much of my running career I was fearless running downhill, but a couple of things happened.  In my mid-50s I ran a 25K (about 15 miles) hilly race over rough terrain up near Lake Tahoe, at elevation around 6,200 feet at the start in Squaw Valley, climbing to maybe 9,000 feet to reach the Rubicon Trail, then trending downward to the finish near Donner Lake.  I had read that to minimize the negative effect of the altitude, a runner should either stay at altitude for 2-3 weeks prior to the race, or run the race less than 24 hours after arriving from the low lands (SF Bay Area, in my case).  I did the latter.  The race director’s website had also advised to carry water and an electrolyte drink and to wear a hat.

I’ve never known whether it was the elevation or the extra weight I was not accustomed to carrying – camel back, water belt, etc, but I fell four times during that 25K, twice pretty hard.  The first time was about an hour into the run, as we finally got a break from the uphill climb.  I relaxed, recovered and I guess started to lengthen my stride and make up for lost time.  All of a sudden, to my complete surprise, I was face down on the ground.  It happened so fast, I couldn’t believe it.  No stumbling or wobbling or anything; no thought of “Oh, I’m going to fall,” or anything.  Just running along and all of a sudden BAM! I am on the ground, astonished, realizing that I hit hard, and mentally taking inventory of what hurts and how badly.     Well, that was the beginning of a series of astonishing falls.  I picked myself up and carefully began running, this time more slowly and cautiously.  But not being accustomed to paying such close attention, my mind wandered; I guess I resumed normal racing speed and form, and BAM! It happened again.  I couldn’t believe it.

Sandy, Amy and Jimmy were waiting for me at the Donner finish and were growing increasingly concerned as the time got to be way past the finish time that I had guessed.  I was doing hilly half marathons (13.1 miles) in about 2 hours, so I think I told them to look for me at around 3 hours.  If I recall, it was more like 3 ½ hours.  I had a bloody knee and a dirty shirt for my troubles, so they knew before I told them that the race was somewhat calamitous.   This was before Brianna was born (2001); maybe before Amy and Jimmy were married (1998).  Anyway, I was in my mid fifties.  From that time on I lost some confidence in my downhill running ability, becoming more conscious and cautious.


The last time I ran the half marathon race in Nicene-Marks state park, I remember that I had finished the climb to the turnaround point and was heading back down when a studly-looking guy in his 40s, no shirt on, came flying past me, bounding down the trail, leaping over rocks and roots and ruts, and was soon out of sight ahead of me.  I think he was perhaps leading the full marathon, which had started a half hour before us and went further up through the park before turning around at the halfway point of that course.  (The marathon and half marathon races shared the same start and finish line, but they started ahead of us, and the fastest of the marathoners finished before the slowest of the half marathoners.)  I was never as good a runner as that guy, but it brought back memories of how I used to be fearless about opening up my stride and making up time on the downhill.  I had a moment of self-discovery when I asked myself if I wanted to emulate that fellow and pick up the pace.  The answer was, “No,” those days were over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment