Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Installment # 39

The summer we escaped from Dad and stayed at Aunt Alice and Uncle George’s summer home, I would hear Mom crying in her room at night.  At the time I thought it was all about the breakup of her marriage and the end of a love relationship – and I couldn’t understand why she would be so sad about that, under the circumstances.  Years later, as a parent myself, I understood that she was grieving more for Donald and me than anything else.  At the time, I thought it affected Donald more than me, since I was 16 and “understood these things,” while he was only 13.  When I was ready to hear it, Mom pointed out that in the year leading up to our desperate run to freedom, I had run away from home for a few days (until they found me hanging out at the A&W); I had quit the football team (which I loved), failed the 11th grade, started smoking and drinking (she knew about the drinking?)…In fact it probably has affected me in one way or another to this day.  Not being a psychiatrist and not ever having been to one, I am not going to speculate further at this point.

As a parent now of grown children who have their own families, I can see where I could have done a better job.  It started with noticing and commenting on the fact that my son and both sons-in-law were much better fathers than I was.  They were more mature and ready to be fathers.  Of course that’s literally true, as they were all much older than I was when they married and became fathers.  But also, they just seem to be better at it.  In turn, I considered that I did the best I knew how, based on my upbringing and who I was.  Then it dawned on me that my father had probably done the best that he knew how, based on his upbringing, and who he was.  And then, who raised him?  Based on what?  I choose to believe that I did the best I knew how, and Dad and Popu in their turns did the best they knew how.  Same goes for Mom.  She did the best she knew how.  Finding fault or placing blame is misguided and pointless, is it not?  The poet and author, Maya Angelou, summed it up succinctly in quoting her own mother: “I did what I knew; and when I knew better, I did better.”

Actually, I have some good traits, and I must have picked them up somewhere – as in the way I was raised by my parents.  As mentioned elsewhere, both Donald and I left New York for California, took advantage of the great education system here, and not only graduated from college, but earned advanced degrees, as well.  Considering the environments we were raised in, the likelihood of that happening in both cases – two for two – seems very small.  We must have picked up some values and some abilities from our parents that are not easy to pin point or describe.  But we must give credit where credit is due.

I don’t recall seeing Dad read books, although he often referred to some characters and stories that came from books he had read.  He often talked about Plato and Socrates; Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau, among others.  He also liked John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men, and Travels with Charlie in Search of America.  I have since read most of Steinbeck’s novels, some of Plato and Socrates; and Thoreau’s Walden.  I don’t recall getting into Emerson.  I think I started Walden twice and dropped it both times because Thoreau is so negative.  He finds fault with everything.  I don’t mind an author or a philosopher who points out the folly or inconsistencies of our humanity, or who makes us think by challenging the dominant paradigms, but Thoreau seems to say, “You are all a bunch of idiots for going along with this travesty, you poor pathetic dummies.” 

Dad could find fault with anything, and he usually did.  As an example, Dad one time railed against the evolution of men’s shaving:  At one time men mixed their shaving cream in a bowl and applied it with a stubby little brush.  Maybe you have seen that in a scene from an old movie.  Anyway, now we squirt the shaving cream into our hand and apply it with our fingers. He lamented modern society’s definition of progress.  That is the kind of nit-picking fault-finding that I found with Thoreau.

I have a hunch I picked up my love of reading, and perhaps my intellectual bent, from Dad. Unlike me, however, Dad had definite opinions on everything, and would announce them as if they were incontrovertible and final.  I’m almost the opposite.  If I have opinions, they are not strongly held, and may be changed by anyone who speaks with conviction.  I like to think it is because I can see both sides and/or I understand that I may not have all the facts, or the facts may have been distorted by the media.  I mentioned that if I had to choose one word to describe life, the word would be “funny.”  Well, if I had to choose one word to describe my attitude towards life, the word would be “whatever.”  To the extent I state opinions or points of view throughout this document; it is for the purpose of giving insight or examples as to how my mind works (or doesn’t work).  It is for the purpose of leaving a trail as to what I was like, not to persuade others that I was right about anything.  

I just came across another way to explain myself.  In her first book in a series about her family, author Lisa See has one of her characters, a Chinese-American born and raised in the Los Angeles area, describing her return from a visit to China.  She says, “When I returned from China, I found here a restless seeking for something that couldn’t be found.  The Chinese found it many years ago – a sort of serenity, an inner calm that comes from the understanding of life.”  She had previously discussed how Chinese culture and history is so much older than Western civilization and, accordingly, results in very different kinds of people.  I am not saying that I have any Chinese heritage or suggesting that I have “the understanding of life,” but I do seem to have an “old soul,” and that may be one of the sources of my “whatever” attitude.

Aunt Dot recalls how Dad (her younger brother) would complain to their parents about the way she would sit in a chair doing homework, for example, in what he considered an unladylike position; or that she was wearing too much lipstick, or something.  This reminds me that Greece is not so far removed from the Middle East, and he seems to have been reflective of the religious, legalistic mind set of the men towards women that prevails there even more so today.  He was also against make up, dancing, rock ‘n roll, side burns…you name it.  Sadly, he also explained to me on more than one occasion after the separation that he didn’t hate Mom; he hated what she represented (whatever that means).  It reminds me of the way Muslims, even Muslims in America, call the rest of us “infidels” and “unbelievers.”  No attempt to give the benefit of the doubt; no attempt to understand; no tendency to love and appreciate other human beings unless they think as we do.

If anyone challenged Dad on any of his pet beliefs he would announce that he had read the bible straight through from start to finish – Genesis to Revelations – and ask whether his challenger could say the same thing.  If not (and very few people can say they have), then there was no basis for arguing…he was right.  It is like the saying, “I would have a battle of wits with you, but you are unarmed.”  Many years later, during what I will call my “born again” phase addressed elsewhere, I learned that the bible is something that needs to be studied and discussed in great depth and width, under the tutelage of more learned people, over a long period of time, in order to be understood in all it’s important areas.  Reading it from cover to cover on one’s own is so futile it is laughable.  But I didn’t know that then, and neither did he, so I was appropriately intimidated, and he was correspondingly self-righteous and arrogant about it.

In much the same way, Donald, Mom and I thought that Dad was very intelligent because he talked about issues and concepts that we never thought of.  Years later (again) I realized that he was getting his talking points from the editorials and “op-ed” articles in the daily newspaper.  Since none of the rest of us was reading the newspaper, we had no idea that he was basically just repeating what he was reading.  We thought he was so smart!  It is an example of the saying, “In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.”  By the way, nearly every household subscribed to the daily newspaper in those days.  I think that television was not considered to be a good source of relevant and complete news, especially not local news back then.  Now of course we have huge blocks of TV time and beautiful men and women devoted to bringing us the latest, along with visuals, as fast as they can get it – half baked or not.  With CNN we even have a station bringing us “news” 24-hours per day, 7 days per week.  It is very repetitious overkill, plus “filler news” that only a small percentage of viewers would care about at all.

A little off the subject, but Dad liked to inform us that he voted for the man, not the party, but that the Democrats were “for the little guy,” so his favorite man was usually a Democrat.  I think even then it occurred to me that, given our system of “one man – one vote,” the man and the party that was for “the little guy” would always get elected, since there were a lot more “little guys” than wealthy big shots.  If it is not working out that way, then either a lot of “little guys” didn’t agree with Dad, or the big shots were pulling a fast one on us, somehow.  In those days, the little guys were the “working class,” who actually worked, paid taxes and voted. 

Growing up on Long Island there were more than a handful of occasions when we would be enjoying a treat, or sitting on the beach, or sitting in someone’s shady backyard on a hot day, and someone would say, “I wonder what the poor people are doing now!”  The so-called joke was that it was as if the speaker didn’t know that we were the poor people.  We were blue-collar working class, but it seems like we didn’t hear of any significant group of people that weren’t working at all – and would therefore be the real “poor.”  I’m sure there were some, but loosely speaking the folks on the bottom of the socio-economic scale were thought of and referred to as “the working class.”  Now we have “the working poor,” the people working for minimum wage, who are worse off than what we thought of as the bottom of the scale back in our day.


No comments:

Post a Comment