Sunday, January 10, 2016

Installment # 13

Mom also liked to tell the story that we eventually named, “The little fire is getting bigger!” It was a few years after Smithtown, at Wildwood State Park, where we would see some of our cousins on Mom’s side of the family.  I recall for sure Uncle Jack and Aunt Ellen Dwyer, with their kids: Johnny, Eileen, Danny and Joanie (Tommy and Cathy Dwyer were not born yet); and Uncle George and Aunt Alice Carter, with their kids: Jimmy, Jeannie, Maggie and Sandy.  Joanie, Sandy and I were all about the same age; and Donald and Danny were about the same age, about 3 years younger than us.  Maybe we were 10 and they were 7 or something.  One summer at Wildwood the adults noticed that a fire had gotten out of control and got help right away, but meanwhile tried to figure out how it started.  The only kids not accounted for were Donald and Danny. 

Well, they were found under one of the cots, with their faces sticking out.  Donald was crying and Danny was laughing, though both were scared.  Mom says it was the funniest sight – two little red faces sticking out: one crying hysterically and the other laughing hysterically, and one of them kept repeating, “The little fire’s getting bigger! The little fire’s getting bigger!”  I don’t recall how easily the fire was handled, and I don’t know how much the kids were punished, but I guess it all ended well.  My sense is that it would be just like Mom to see the funny aspects and be chastised by Dad for giving any of the kids the impression that what happened was OK.  I can certainly see both sides of that one.

I remember that most of us kids slept on cots in one big tent on a wooden platform, and when it was “lights out” it got really dark.  Jimmy and Johnny were probably 17 or 18 years old then, and I remember that Jimmy used to come in after we were all quieted down and shine a flashlight up under his chin to make a hideous face, and then make scary sounds and say threatening things.  It was more funny than scary, but we all got a big kick out of it.  He also would put his hand and arm through a flap, maybe with ketchup dripping from it, and announce that this was the hammer of death – the unconscious hammer of death that would kill whatever it came in contact with. He would have us all in an uproar, and I’ll bet the adults were trying to get him to stop and to get us back to sleep.

One of my favorite family stories involves Uncle George’s annual Thanksgiving prank, which I never saw but heard about from Mom.  I think by the time I was old enough to ask about it, the Carters had moved, but at one time they lived where they could look out their 2nd story front room window and see the bus stop.  Per Mom, the day after Thanksgiving each year Uncle George would wrap the turkey carcass and place it in a shopping bag in such a way that it looked like a newly purchased store-bought turkey.  He would slip out early that Friday morning and hang the bag, with the turkey legs sticking out, on a coat peg by the bus stop and then sit by the window watching people’s reactions. 

His prank always culminated  with someone spotting the turkey, looking around to confirm that it didn’t seem to belong to anyone else and that no one was watching; then as the bus pulled up to take on passengers, the person would jump up, grab the bag, and board the bus.  Uncle George could only imagine the look on the person’s face when they opened the bag and discovered they had only stolen a carcass.  Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, he had succeeded in getting rid of the carcass, as well as pulling a prank that he thought was hilarious and fun to watch.

Summer time on Long Island also meant fire flies!  At a certain age, it is magical to see them and catch them.  We would put them in glass jars and watch their little lights go on and off.  We no doubt put a dent in the fire fly population if we forgot to let them go by bedtime, but I don’t recall ever hearing about a shortage of fire flies on Long Island.  One year we were invaded with the “seven-year locusts,” so named because they came around once every seven years, so our parents told us.  Wikipedia is now telling me that “locust” is a misnomer (they are cicadas) and that they emerge every 13 or 17 years, not seven.  To quote, they “spend most of their 13- and 17-year lives underground feeding on xylem fluids from the roots of deciduous forest trees in the eastern United States.  After 13 or 17 years, mature cicada nymphs emerge at any given locality, synchronously and in tremendous numbers. After such a prolonged developmental phase, the adults are active for about 4 to 6 weeks. The males aggregate into chorus centers and attract mates. Within two months of the original emergence, the life cycle is complete, the eggs have been laid and the adult cicadas are gone for another 13 or 17 years.” Aren’t you glad to know all that?

I only remember one invasion in the time I lived in Massapequa (ages 6 to 15), so the seven-year cycle is probably wrong.  First we ran home to report that we had spotted one or two of these strange things, and to ask what they were.  Then they started multiplying like crazy, and what a racket!  Maybe I was 9 or 10, but I remember thinking that the next invasion, thought to be seven years away, was so far into the future that I couldn’t imagine it.  I had a similar reaction the first time Sandy and I bought a mattress, and the label said it was guaranteed to last 10 years.  Ten years seemed so far into the future when I was 22! 

Same thing with the year 2000 – it was so far into the future, and it seemed more like a mirage than a possibility.  Now it is so far back in the rear view mirror of my mind!  It is like speeding past a highway sign.  I remember early in our marriage listening to a Beattle’s song that included the lyrics: “Will you still feed me; will you still need me, when I’m sixty-four?”  I couldn’t imagine being 64 and Sandy being 63.  Once again, that milestone is in the rear view mirror.  Worse, I remember early in our marriage asking Sandy if she would still love me when I was “forty, fat and bald.”  It turned out that I had a full head of hair at 40, and pretty much still do, and I was in great shape as a long distance runner (pretty much can’t say that I still am!).

Getting back to Long Island, I was quite afraid of dogs growing up. I think it was all in one week that I got bit by two different dogs under two entirely different circumstances, and had to get shots to guard against rabies.  Thereafter I learned all about rabid dogs and how to spot one…the foaming at the mouth, the convulsing, etc and didn’t trust any dog at all.  We even had a dog of our own for awhile, an averaged sized black and white thing.  I don’t even know what breed.  It was a bit temperamental and would snap at me if I wasn’t careful.  I think it could sense that I was wary of it – really had no use for it – so if he thought I was going to step on his tail or take his food, he would snap at me.  His name was Buddy, but we were not buddies.  I just remembered now that Aunt Dot had a fairly high-strung dog named Whitey (It was white – duh).  There, too, it was best to leave it alone.  And Grandma and Popu had a somewhat smaller white dog named Jeff that I paid no attention to.  I guess Cousin Harold’s dog Browser was the only dog I enjoyed being around.  Again, I don’t know what breeds Whitey, Jeff or Browser were.  I just wasn’t into dogs.

The first time I was bitten, we were playing ball in the street, and our ball went into the backyard of someone we didn’t know…they must have had no kids.  There was a fence high enough to keep their dog inside the yard, but low enough for me to jump over.  I could see the dog, and he didn’t seem too feisty to me, so over I went, and slowly I walked toward the ball, which was in the general direction of the dog, as well.  The dog growled more and more menacingly as I approached.  Little did I understand about dogs being territorial.  While he may have ignored me walking down the street, there was no way he was going to stand there and let me enter his backyard and walk towards the center of it.  

I didn’t know how to make friends with a dog.  Heck, I didn’t want to be friends with a dog, and he probably sensed it.  He could only reach my belly, which he bit and scratched convincingly.  I think Mom and Dad were still deciding whether to have me checked by a doctor when, later in the week, I was standing near a friend’s picket fence - in fact left shoulder protruding through the fence -  when his collie took exception and took a bite.  That clinched it for Mom, and we were off to the doctor’s office.  I was not the hardened pro that I became, in terms of receiving needles, so that was traumatic, and so was the medicine he smeared on my belly.

In our first house on Garnet Avenue in San Carlos a neighborhood dog (pretty big dog) actually came into our garage and was sitting in my VW!  I came out to go to work, and there he was.  It was like my worst nightmare.  This would have been around 1968-69, so I was around 24-25 years old, and I realized that I still had this unreasonable fear of dogs.  I actually had to go back into the house and ask Sandy to get the dog out of the car.  I couldn’t deal with it.  I really hadn’t been around dogs since childhood, so it took me somewhat by surprise to realize that I was still afraid of dogs.  Over the years, as I have learned about dogs being territorial, loyal to their owners, jealous of their food bowls and any bone or toy they are enjoying, I have learned to understand them and not be so apprehensive about them.  It also helped to watch how Sandy would handle a situation like a stray, obviously lost dog in the area. 

I would urge her to leave it alone.  She would try to see if she could get close enough to read the dog’s tag and call its owner, or at least start calling the dog by its name – the name on the tag. With all that, I have overcome my fear to a prudent extent.  I know which breeds are more aggressive than others.  I know that most breeds need to be trained and taught to attack.  If they are not trained that way (and very few are) they are not going to attack unless I provoke them.  I know how to talk to them and make friends.  Most of them don’t even realize that I’m not one of those humans who place importance on dogs as pets. 

To this day I am indifferent about pets.  I’ve long since gotten over my fear of dogs, while learning to exercise sensible precautions.  Jimmy Hamilton had a huge dog, Romy, that was friendly enough as long as he knew who you were and could see that you were welcome in the house or backyard.  At the front door Jimmy would remind us to let Romy see us and hear our voices before walking in.  Don’t just walk in the door and surprise the dog, he would say.  That could be very detrimental to our health and safety.  Once passed that little hurdle I knew to pet the dog and say nice things to him to make sure he didn’t change his mind about me all of a sudden.


Brianna had a really tough time understanding how I could be the Poppa she wanted me to be, yet not profess “love” for Romy or Jozzie (her and Amy’s dog.  Romy was her and Jimmy’s dog).  She would look for signs that showed, at least in her mind, that I really did love her pets.  I didn’t try to fool her or explain.  She just had to accept that some people – like me – just aren’t into animals.  I tolerate them, and I marvel at how much they mean to other people, but personally I just don’t get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment