Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Installment # 36

We used to drive up to Sebastopol each year on the three-day Memorial Day weekend when the kids were small to visit with Uncle Phil and Aunt Robin and their two teenage girls (Sandy’s first cousins).  It was usually Bobby’s birthday weekend (May 25th).  They had a few acres – can’t remember how many – and had some horses and chickens, stray cats, a couple of dogs, and assorted other farm/barn animals that our kids really enjoyed.  We only had one pet, a stinking, flea-infested black poodle named Ebony that Sandy’s parents gave us.  (It’s the thought that counts).  Anyway, Michelle was about 12 years old when she wanted to ride a small motorcycle on the property, and Sandy decided to get on the back.  With little experience, Michelle promptly upended the bike, throwing them both to the ground while the engine kept running and the chain kept turning. 

Sandy put her hand out to get up from the ground and stuck her thumb right into the chain…lost it at the first big knuckle.  While Sandy was in shock and was waiting with her arm elevated and her hand in ice, we all searched and finally found the missing half of her thumb.  We then took off for the nearest hospital, where they informed us that, based on the location of the cut, the piece could not be successfully sewn back on.  Michelle felt terrible and guilty for years, though we always assured her that it was not her fault and that bad things just happen sometimes.

Sandy took it in stride and shrugged it off.  When we got back home and the kids were in school, I remember encouraging her to let herself have a good cry – don’t try to hold it in.  It took her awhile to convince me that she did not need to cry; that she was not holding anything inside.  Even clueless me knew that women love to show off their hands and jewelry.  I thought that she would feel awkward and embarrassed about it for the rest of her life: Nope.  She just accepted it and moved on.  I’ve been somewhat in awe of her ever since.  She is one tough-minded cookie.  When she gives me tough love instead of sympathy, I remember that she treats herself the same way:  No whining and no excuses.  She says she is just a stubborn English person, just like her father was.

I remember that Uncle Phil would wait until we had all the kids and all the equipment loaded into the VW for the ride home, then hand a kitten or two through the car window and ask the kids if they wanted to take them home with them.  Caught off guard, my belated protestations were futile.  Home we went each year with a kitten or two.  We gave some away to Don and Audrey and maybe some neighborhood friends, but ended up with a white one the kids named Princess.  When it was still a kitten a blade fell from the kitchen counter and made a deep slice in her skinny little back.  I was elected to take her to the local veterinarian while Sandy stayed home with the kids.  The lady behind the counter at the vets said we were very lucky the blade didn’t hit the spine; otherwise the kitten could not be saved.  She was pleased to inform me that the procedure to save our precious kitten would only cost around $75.  I was stunned.  That was a lot of money to us in those days, and I personally placed zero value on this kitten – or any pet for that matter.

I stood there staring at her, wondering what would happen if I asked her to kill the cat and let me go home with the “bad news.”  I knew enough to know that people who worked at vets really placed a lot of importance on pets.  This woman would literally despise me if I asked her to kill the cat.  What I didn’t realize was that there would be a fee to euthanize the kitten, too.  I would not be saving the entire $75. But even without this knowledge I made the painful, half-hearted decision to go ahead and save the kitten’s life.  Visualizing going home and telling Sandy and the kids that the cat was dead was even more distasteful.  Long story short, that free kitten cost me $75 plus room and board for a long time.  I actually don’t remember what became of it, or when.  I do remember seeing a positive transformation come over Michelle.  The kitten seemed bring out her soft side and help her express love and tenderness.

Michelle made a comment to me just a couple of years ago that really got my attention, although at the time I didn’t ask her to explain.  I think I was too surprised and saddened.  She said in passing that at some point during her early or mid-teens, I just decided that I didn’t want to be her father anymore.  I do remember that when she was fifteen I used to drive her and her girlfriend to Pioneer High School and drop them off in front.  There was something about their attitudes or language or topics of conversation or something that I found so unacceptable that I suddenly announced that I was not taking them to school anymore.  I was done.  I have always had this natural aversion to conflict, and I think the only way I could express my disapproval was to distance myself. 

Teenagers seem to have an immediate (usually rude and inelegant) contrary response to anything said by a parent, and I was just not willing to subject myself to it.  I recall thinking that never in a million years would Donald or I have spoken to our parents the way Michelle spoke to us.  But then I was not raised with girls, and I never watched someone else go through their teen years, except during my own teens.  In fact, I didn’t watch Donald go through his teens after he was about 14, since I was in the Army by then, and prior to that was generally oblivious to my surroundings, anyway.  I feel terrible about how Michelle remembers those years, but I wonder if things would have worked out for the better or for the worse if I had been the type who would go toe-to-toe with her and insist on prevailing, even at the price of breaking her spirit.  I am not excusing myself, but finding a way to accept what I cannot change.  I hope that she is doing the same.

Come to think of it, in our last visit to Michelle’s in March 2014 I noticed that I was not particularly enjoying being around teenagers.  There are a few precious moments here and there, but for the most part I am irrelevant to their lives, and my presence seems to make very little difference to them one way or the other.  I found myself missing and remembering fondly the visits where we would tuck the kids in bed with little songs and stories at night, and in the morning they would make their way down stairs in their pajamas and cuddle on the couch with us.  Now I am more determined than ever to take good care of myself and be able to enjoy my great grandchildren!  Come to think of it, Poppa gave me a word of advice about this.  It was around the time of Amy’s or Bobby’s wedding, so my only grandchild, if any, would have been Ryan as a baby.  Poppa advised me (Sandy and me) to make our own happiness in life and not depend on grandchildren to make us happy.  They have their own lives, and give little more than a passing hug on their way to some other activity or interest. I’m sure I was the same way; teenagers are in their own little worlds.  It is no doubt as it should be.

Michelle was a gifted soccer player.  I remember how the ball would explode off her foot with a display of power and speed that the other girls simply did not have.  To this day she says that she harbors resentment because Sandy and I were not willing to let her join “select” soccer teams that travelled and competed at the higher levels.  We couldn’t be bothered with the added inconvenience, evidently.  As with most things that concerned the kids and their activities, it was Sandy’s call as far as I was concerned, similar to dance lessons: if Sandy was for it, I would help make it happen, but if she didn’t think it was necessary, then neither did I. 

I don’t know why I assumed that she knew more about parenting that I did, just because she was a woman and had taken Home Ec. Classes.  But I did take my cues from her, as I have said.  Sadly, once Michelle started driving a car her priorities were such that she needed a part-time job after school in order to afford gas and insurance, so high school sports and sports in general were over.  We helped all three of the kids get their first cars, with the understanding that the insurance and the gas was up to them.

Michelle started college at West Valley Junior College, and then transferred to Modesto Junior College at the prompting of a friend, because it was more agriculture-oriented.  She got free housing by becoming the swine herdsman.  When we went to visit her the smell was almost overwhelming, but we persevered.  She and the guy she worked with said, “What smell?”  Michelle was responsible for being there when the sows gave birth to their litters, something which happened with alarming regularity, apparently, and almost always in the wee hours of the morning.  She was responsible for grabbing each squirming, squealing thing, giving them their shots, and tagging and listing them.  It sounded like the worst job in the world, but she liked it well enough.  Anything to do with the Ag business and large animal husbandry was right up her alley.  At Cal Poly she worked at the university’s dairy operation.  One of her duties was to wean the newborns with bottles, just as human babies are fed if the mothers aren’t nursing.  This allowed the cows to get back to the milking machines.

After graduation Michelle found a place in Modesto and a job in nearby Turlock, working at a farm supply company.  Her future husband, Kevin, was responsible for all retail sales in California and I think other nearby states, and they met when he called on her company.  I like to tell Kevin that he has very discerning tastes, and that none of the millions of girls in Canada would do, so he had to come all the way to California to find the right girl for him!  Kevin does tend to like the best in all things.  I remember that shortly before Michelle met Kevin we were with her when she bought a Dooney and Burke handbag and wallet that cost several hundred dollars – way more than I could ever conceive of a person spending on a purse and wallet.  That was in 1996, before I ever heard of such things costing so much.  Now I am aware that there are women out there who will spend many times more than a few hundred dollars for such things.  Anyway, when I got to know Kevin a little, I wondered (and still wonder) how much that Dooney and Burke set helped him notice Michelle – how much it set her apart from the other young women who were maybe crossing his path in those days.  I wonder whether Kevin remembers that.

I have mentioned that Amy, as our third and last child, was a lot easier for Sandy and me as parents.  I’m sure a lot had to do with having been “broken in” by Michelle, but at every stage growing up Amy seemed more content and easy-going.  Amy was nursing while we lived in Belmont, and I remember Michelle and Bobby (and me once) getting a taste of what Amy was receiving from Sandy.   When we moved to San Jose - our first two-story home, with all the bedrooms upstairs - Amy was 14 months old and newly walking.  I remember we were so concerned about her possibly falling down the stairs, but in a matter of days she was happily sliding head first down the carpeted stairs with no problem at all.  She later learned to turn around and go down feet first, her diapered bum hitting each step on the way down.  She learned how to climb out of her crib early and was not getting enough sleep.  So we had to secure the door from the outside.  She would cry at the foot of the door until she fell back to sleep.  When it was time, we would gently push her door open in the morning, moving her sound asleep across the floor in the process until we could slip into the room and pick her up.  We felt terrible for locking her in like that, but hoped that she didn’t really know what we were doing, only that her door didn’t open like it used to.

I remember when Amy was around 3 years old, she was “helping” me dig in the backyard.  At one point we had uncovered some worms, which she studied for a few moments, then asked, “Why don’t worms have faces?”  For some reason, that stuck with me and became a metaphor for something…although I don’t know what!  Over the years I would occasionally ask the rhetorical question, “Why don’t worms have faces?”  Maybe it is similar to “Why is the sky blue?”  It is either just a question that has no meaningful answer, or it is one of the great questions of life.  Something else original with Amy, and which Sandy and I still use to this day, started with a digital clock.  She was in the room with us when the time happened to be exactly on the hour, perhaps 10:00am.  I said it was 10 o’clock “on the nose,” whereupon Amy announced that, no, it was “10 o’clock “on the eyes,” because the 00 looked more like eyes than they did a nose.  We thought that was so cute and clever and observant!  We never forgot it.


Amy loved to sit in her favorite corner of her room, where she burrowed into a collection of pillows and backrests, and would read or write or draw.  She was far and away the most creative and artistic of our three.  We have saved a few of her creations.  One is a story about two dogs named Poochie and Moochie.  In one of her phases Amy made her own greeting cards with her own logo and brand name on the back - Amy Productions.  More so than our first two, Amy had the perpetually stuffed nose (the typical “snot-nosed kid”), and we all gave her a bad time about it.  I remember she was playing or tagging along with Bobby and Michelle and some of the other older kids in the court when she sneezed or something and the kids say she had a string of snot extending from her nose clear down to the sidewalk.  That may be a slight exaggeration, and she was probably bent over somewhat, but I think she basically agrees that is what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment