Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Installment # 23

Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I was drawn towards a few lines in a poem I heard.  I would say to Sandy, “Come grow old with me; the best is yet to be – the second half, for which the first was made.”  The Internet is telling me this is not exactly how the poet put it, but I like my version better.  In any case, the sentiment seemed more romantic when Sandy and I were in midlife.  Now what do we do?  Looking forward in anticipation is replaced with looking back gratefully. Elsewhere I mentioned the poem I wrote for Sandy on our 42nd anniversary in 2008.  Here is an excerpt that captures not only the gratitude, but the celebration:

1 Remember in the early morn, when the road was strange and new?
2 The starting line not far behind, the sun just breaking through?
3 Beginner’s luck?  Beginner’s love? We simply ran the road.
4 Side by side, stride for stride, sharing…was there a load?
5 The journey was the destination; the struggle was the prize
6 The joy we know, the happy glow should come as no surprise
7 Love ripens with age, becomes so sweet by being allowed to grow.
8 We tended and nurtured the precious seeds before the weeds could show.
9 And now the rewards of a love well spent: Satisfaction, contentment and joy,
10 To have a life of immeasurable worth that started with a girl and a boy.

If I may editorialize, the first four lines are inspired by road racing, which was a large part of my life for many years.  The 26.2 mile marathon is also known as a 42 kilometer race, so the advent of our 42nd anniversary triggered thoughts of the marathon.  Since marathons take 4 to 5 hours for the masses to finish, they usually start in the pre-dawn in the summertime in hopes that most runners will finish before it gets too hot.  We are usually still in the early miles when the sun breaks through the clouds.  The image of two people running side by side, stride for stride is very typical.  Most people enter a marathon along with at least one friend who runs about the same pace.  If not, you soon identify someone who is running at about your pace, and it makes it easier for both of you to hold the pace if you chit-chat and “share the load,” so to speak. 

My question, “Was there a load?” refers to the fact, to which Sandy and I can attest, that being happily married and in love always seemed easy for us.  We used to hear how marriage was hard work, how you had to work at it, etc.  We would look at each other and wonder: when does that start?  The rest of the lines above are about looking back gratefully.  I guess you could say that the first four lines are about looking forward in anticipation, and the last six lines are about looking back gratefully, with the exception of line 8, which touches on how we did it.  But tending and nurturing the precious seeds of love hardly qualifies as hard work; at least for us it didn’t.

Getting back to my “ready, willing and able” theme, Sandy and I were obviously willing, and that really does separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.  What percentage of the people would be willing to do what Sandy and I did at that time, while simultaneously having three babies and living on one income?  If anyone says that Sandy is not as strong, capable and focused as she could be, I want to tell them, “You should have seen her in her day.  She makes you modern young whiners look puny at best.”  When Sandy was in labor with Michelle, I was by her bedside, but I was concentrating on my math homework.  She would make noise with her contractions, and I would ask her to be still so I could concentrate.  (True story!).

She was in labor a total of about 36 hours before the medical staff concluded that she could not dilate, and we needed to do a Cesarean or “C” section.  She was completely exhausted.  In those days I completely trusted the doctors, nurses and staff.  It never entered my head to question why they waited so long.  When they decided on the C section, I remember telling the doctor that Sandy was OK with that, and he said, “At this stage, the patient doesn’t get a vote.” 
After Michelle was born and Sandy was resting comfortably in recovery, I went up to her and tried to hug her and share my excitement and enthusiasm with her.  She seemed so unexcited and unenthused that I was concerned.  It was either she or one of the staff that had to remind me what she had just been through.  What a dope!  Who knew?  By the way, in those days, the husband was not allowed to be in the delivery room during a C section, so I didn’t get to witness the birth.  Also in those days, once a woman had a C section she would not be allowed to go into labor in the future.  She had to have the rest of her babies, if any, by C section.  So I never got to witness the births of Bobby or Amy, either. 

When it was time for Amy to be born, I asked the doctor whether he could put a zipper in afterwards, instead of sewing her up.  On a more sober note, the doctor encouraged Sandy to have her tubes tied during the C section to ensure that she would never get pregnant again.  We decided that was a good idea.  Three was plenty.  As a side benefit, Sandy never had to go on birth control pills, so avoided any related side effects that some women experience.
But getting back (again) to the willingness part of preparation for success, this willingness to “go the extra mile,” to “do what it takes,” etc: how much credit can we take personally, versus how much was it simply an inborn part of us, like being left-handed or being pretty?  Who knows where that willingness comes from?

That question also pertains to the “able” part of my three-legged stool.  As I have discussed or will discuss elsewhere, no-one was more surprised than me to discover that I could do college level work at all, let alone at the “A” level.  My memories of grade school and high school were all about sports, socializing and later being the class clown type.  I didn’t get good grades, and I don’t remember learning much of anything.  Yet when I took the LaSalle Extension University Real Estate course (1966-67) and later the first courses in junior college (1967-68), I found I had no trouble understanding what they were teaching me or answering the questions based on the materials I had just read. 

It was much, much later in life that I realized that most people do not have the reading comprehension ability that I was taking for granted.  I couldn’t believe that a person could read a few paragraphs and then not be able to answer some reasonable questions about what they just read!  In a similar vein, one of our favorite hikes when we are staying at one of our timeshares is called the Bob Jones Trail, and the question popped into my mind right away, “Who is or was ‘Bob Jones’?”  To my amazement, the people working behind the counter in the lobby, and frequently giving people directions to the trail, had no idea who Bob Jones was.  They referred to the Bob Jones Trail many, many times and never thought to ask, “Who is/was Bob Jones?” That seems incredible to me.  The “world series” of professional hockey is called the Stanley Cup.  So far no avid hockey fan has been able to answer my question, “Who was Stanley?”  Unbelievable!

Of course, the “ability” leg encompasses more than curiosity and reading comprehension.  I found I had a pretty good head for arithmetic and a real interest in literature, philosophy and psychology.  I took the introductory classes in accounting and economics in junior college and could grasp the concepts readily.  Freshman English was an eye-opening exposure to the writings and thinking of great people I had basically never heard of before.  At Stanford I took a six-week summer course with the incredibly ambitious title of “World Literature and the History of Ideas.”  Can you imagine studying either world literature or the history of ideas in six weeks?  How about a lifetime? We read so many books and short stories in so short a period of time that it is now only a blur, but at the time I was enthralled and excited about diving in and finding out what these books and authors were all about.

I chose the Accounting field based on the introductory courses in junior college and the observation discussed elsewhere that the want ads were in alphabetical order: Accounting, Business, Controller, etc.  I chose the Economics major at Stanford because they did not offer an undergraduate program in Accounting.  Stanford has the famed Graduate School of Business, where they cater to candidates with more technical undergraduate degrees, such as science, math and engineering.  Based on the introductory Economics courses in junior college, I knew I would enjoy and do well in that major.

I actually applied to Stanford’s Graduate School of Business as I was finishing up my undergraduate work, but the bias toward technical degrees, combined with the off day I had taking the SATs served to prevent acceptance.  At Berkeley I needed to take the two year MBA program, instead of the one year program, due to my lack of higher level business and accounting classes at Stanford.  Seems like a catch 22, but it was mainly due to my “stumbling along” approach with no real idea of what I wanted to do in life, except make more money, raise a family, etc.

To complete the thought on “ready, willing and able,” it seems clear to me that I was one of the fortunate ones who had the ability, was willing to work hard and sacrifice over a long period of time, and was more than ready when the opportunity came along.  One of our American ideals is that of a meritocracy, combined with equal opportunity.  Out of the other sides of our mouths we speak of equal outcomes, or at least less unequal outcomes.  We hear that “No person should go hungry in the United States of America,” or one of those cries that begins, “If we can put a man on the moon, surely we can… (fill in the blank)”. 

From my experience, we do not even have equal opportunity, let alone equal outcomes, in that people are not equally “ready, willing and able” to function in our meritocracy.  Most do a lot worse than I did, but certainly not because I am a superior person.  A lot of the ability was inborn and, I suspect so is a lot of the willingness.  How much credit can I really take for attributes I was born with?  What I am very proud of, however, is that I did the best I could with what I had.  There is nothing sadder than unused potential.

Another way that I think of this is the two-pronged idea of aptitude and attitude.  You won’t get far trying to accomplish something for which you have no real aptitude, and where do those aptitudes come from?  Attitude refers to that willingness, I guess.  It may be that aptitudes are more inborn, but shaped by environment, while attitudes come more from environment, and less from inborn attributes.  We’ve all heard of children born into disadvantaged situations who turn out to be great people; and children born into advantage and privilege who turn out to be really lousy people.   But in general, if a boy, for example, learns from the adult males around him that the way to get money is to apply for government or private charity – that holding down a job is for suckers – then he will not develop the willingness to maximize his potential.  The exceptions are those who are not only blessed with aptitude, but who develop the attitude – the willingness to do the best they can with what they’ve got.

This is a little off the subject, but as a young, then middle-aged, then older runner, who slowed down, just like all the rest of the aging runners, I have enjoyed hearing and retelling the story about a great violinist who was performing before a live audience when one of the strings broke on his instrument.  He continued and completed the piece he was playing without the string, somehow.  Afterwards, a friend and admirer back stage asked him why he didn’t stop and take the time to find another violin, tune it up, and start over.  He reportedly said that, just as in every other area of life, you do the best you can with what you have, and at some point in life, you do the best you can with what you have left.  We didn’t give up running, but we more or less gracefully accepted that our best wasn’t what it used to be.  That was no reason not to do our best.

I totally admire the high achievers in our society – I mean the great leaders, athletes, entertainers and the like – in that they did their very best with the potential they were born with or acquired.  They put in the work; they submitted their egos to a coach or mentor, and they pulled the very best out of themselves.  They had good attitudes.  While nothing is sadder than unused potential, nothing is more inspiring to me than watching someone with great ability maximize their potential. 


The hard truth is that Americans fall into a very wide range of potential (attitude and aptitude), which in a meritocracy results in a very large gap between the wealthiest and poorest among us.  As far as I can see, there is no fair way to redistribute wealth, except with the permission of those who have earned it in our system.  Taking from one who rightfully owns something, without permission, and giving it to someone who needs it more, no matter how noble the motivation, is confiscation (in my humble opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment