Saturday, January 9, 2016

Installment # 9

I mentioned the Benjamin Franklin Reader.  One of the things he said that made me wince had to do with not being silly, but having people take you seriously.  He had a keen sense of humor, as we see in Poor Richard’s Almanac and his other early writings.  But he said that he realized at an early age that he was undermining his own success and stature among men by being seen as silly, witty or jovial, except in very limited instances.  By the time I read that it was too late for me.  I’ve always liked to make people laugh.  Only in recent years have I considered how I would feel if someone else had said what I said in the circumstance in which I said it.  Or I would ask myself, what impression would that person have made on me if he had said to the group what I said to the group? I wish I had thought that through in the early stages of my career. Perhaps it would have made no difference, though, because I enjoy the odd and unconventional -  the humorous verging on the outrageous.

Here’s a good example: In the mid 1970s this crazy thing called the pet rock was popular for awhile.  With approximately zero intrinsic value, some marketing genius came up with the idea, and people were spending what would now be the equivalent of maybe $20-25 each to put one on their desks at work or to give as a gag gift.  Well, some other genius came out with the pet turd, and I thought it was hilarious.  It came with its own “dog house” that looked like an outhouse or port-o-potty, instructions on caring for your new pet, and a list of some of the advantages of owning one: You didn’t have to potty train it or take it for walks or stop at rest stops during a car trip, etc.  I bought five of them, put them on my desk at work, and offered them free to favorite co-workers.  I was the only one who thought they were funny, and if I hadn’t been so tone deaf to office politics at the time, I’m sure I would have realized that I had done myself some serious damage in terms of my future with the company.  At the time I just shrugged it off and felt sorry for people who don’t have a better sense of humor than that.

Just the other day at the gym, a young man was holding a small dumbbell in his throwing hand and making the motion of passing it like a football (not letting go, of course).  He had ear buds in his ears, so I had to get his attention first and have him take one of them out of his ear, and then I smiled and said, “Even if you learn to throw that thing, who is going to catch it?”  He didn’t exactly double over with laughter, but I think he was amused either by what I said, or just the fact that I would say it. Either way works for me.  But that is the kind of thing I would do during my working career, too, trying to amuse someone by what I said, or simply because of the fact that I had said it.

It seems like every ten years or so I would look back and think, “Man, I was really a jerk ten years ago.  I am not so bad now.”  At 50 I would look back and think, “I was really a jerk at 40, but I have improved a lot.”  Same thing at 60, looking back to 50.  Now as I approach 70 I can’t remember what I was like at 60, anyway, but I have settled for saying that I am not as big a jerk as I used to be, and maybe I will keep improving.  I have mentioned this to close relatives, half-way hoping that someone would say, “Oh, you were never a jerk, really.”  Unfortunately no one has said that.  Ouch!  I think I have become more comfortable in my own skin, in any case, and I have always been a happy person, grateful for what has come my way in life.  I talk elsewhere about living up to one’s potential and doing the best with what you’ve got.  I really feel I have done that, even though my best hasn’t been particularly noteworthy.  I did what I could.  A running philosopher once said that he tries to teach people that it is OK to accept your limitations and yet to struggle against them.  That is not contradictory.  That has more or less been my approach to life.

I’m sure we all would like to be able to think that our lives have “made a difference” somehow.  We are only on earth for so many decades, at best, and then we are gone.  I can share from personal experience that most of us will be hard pressed to convince even ourselves, let alone other people, that our lives really made any kind of a difference to the world around us.  Our children and grandchildren are of course very meaningful to us personally, but really make no important difference to the rest of the world.  The names that populate the history books represent a tiny fraction of one percent of those who lived.  So, too, the names of celebrities, politicians, athletes and the like:  They are a tiny fraction of one percent of our population.  The rest of us will pass from life’s stage essentially unnoticed.  Aside from the joys of marriage and family, my satisfaction comes from knowing that I did the best I could, irrespective of how paltry the results may seem to others.  If I have a message that would be it: Try to live such that when you look back you can truthfully say, “I did the best I could.”

I was born on February 29th 1944, according to a piece of paper entitled Certificate of Live Birth, issued by a hospital in Jamaica, Queens, New York, called Mary Immaculate.  As someone who tends to be very literal, it is interesting to me that it is called a certificate of live birth, rather than just a birth certificate.  It reminds me that there is no guarantee when going through labor and delivery that the baby will be born alive.  The term probably comes from an earlier time in medical history when the number of live births was far from 100%.  To appreciate how things have changed, I note that in one of the books I read about the Irish settling in New York in the late 1800’s/early 1900’s, there was a scene where young women were admitted to the hospital some two weeks or more before their expected delivery dates, and stayed in the hospital nursing and recovering another three or four weeks after giving birth.  Now you are lucky to stay overnight.  Also, with my literal bent, I notice that if we take the word “immaculate” out of its religious context we can chuckle about how the birthing process is anything but immaculate!  Or at least I can chuckle about it; I never had to personally go through it, except as a newborn.

Further evidence of the accuracy of my birth date comes from a copy of the June 1944 edition of the Morey Machine Co of New York in-house news publication.  Below a picture of me, the announcement of my birth reads, “Thomas Peter Zades was a Leap-Year Baby, opening his eyes to the world on February 29th.  Weighed 7 ½ lb. at birth but now, at the ripe old age of 3 months, he weighs 14 lb.  Father is Tom Zades of the Turret Lathe Dept., and Proud Grandpa is Pete Zades, Turret Lathe foreman. Pete says the baby takes after him, because he has no teeth and neither has the baby.”  The copy was kept because it announced my birth, but it is also fascinating because of all the pictures and articles relating to the war, and support of the war, including a description of an impromptu meeting in celebration of “D” Day, June 6th, 1944.  In fact, the article states that one of the executives closed the meeting saying a prayer and all joined in the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.  It also said that all work was to be suspended at 5pm that day (June 6th) so that all could go to Madison Square Garden to join in Mayor LaGuardia’s official celebration.

I can’t help but note in passing here that we will not see executives of modern U.S. corporations leading the workers in prayer.  Someone might be offended!  My only point here, though, is that we had much more of a consensus as a nation than we do now.  Now we need to be more sensitive and considerate of others in our midst, because we really have no national consensus to speak of.  America used to be called “the great melting pot,” because we are a nation of immigrants who blended together over time and developed certain common core beliefs.  Now we are seen more like a green salad where the various ingredients maintain their individuality, but combine to make an attractive and tasty meal.  At least that would be the positive, optimistic spin on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment